Presumptuous and stupid question - SLIP split and a touchback?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Presumptuous and stupid question - SLIP split and a touchback?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:28 pm

1L who nabbed a solid SA this summer but who's strongly interested in accruing some government experience before graduation. Assuming I both get a DOJ SLIP offer and it's in a component I like (both extremely remote possibilities, I know), I assume I wouldn't be able to split such that I could do DOJ for 6 weeks, OCI firm for some time, and touch back at my 1L firm? Totally fine if so, and in many ways would help clarify things if I was looking at either DOJ + OCI split only or DOJ + 1L firm split only, though frankly given the competitiveness the most likely outcome is OCI + 1L touchback.

Anonymous User

Re: Presumptuous and stupid question - SLIP split and a touchback?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:35 pm

I know at least one person doing firm/government split and a shorter stint at a third firm (think Kellogg, Susman). This summer is probably the only summer it will work, because it is so long. Most SA positions for 2Ls are 8 weeks. That is 14 weeks with SLIP.

nealric

Re: Presumptuous and stupid question - SLIP split and a touchback?

Post by nealric » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:28 pm
1L who nabbed a solid SA this summer but who's strongly interested in accruing some government experience before graduation. Assuming I both get a DOJ SLIP offer and it's in a component I like (both extremely remote possibilities, I know), I assume I wouldn't be able to split such that I could do DOJ for 6 weeks, OCI firm for some time, and touch back at my 1L firm? Totally fine if so, and in many ways would help clarify things if I was looking at either DOJ + OCI split only or DOJ + 1L firm split only, though frankly given the competitiveness the most likely outcome is OCI + 1L touchback.
I did SLIP for 6 weeks during my bar summer starting 2nd week of May. That was the earliest start and shortest timeline they allowed. It's possible you could do 6 week SLIP + 6 week SA + 2 week touchback, though finangling that schedule with the various parties would be tough. You may have an easier time in a market like Texas where split summers are more common.

It's ultimately going to be up to your component what they are willing to allow in terms of minimum time period and how long.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”