Which partners at your firms are notoriously terrible to work for? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Which partners at your firms are notoriously terrible to work for?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:02 am
Sackboy wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:08 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:24 pm
David Marriott from Cravath is also as notorious as others I believe.
Not quite what I expected from a Mormon
His rotation is almost always staffed with all women, always withs one asian woman, too, I believe.
ugh gross. this isn't an uncommon sight at a lot of the white shoe firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:16 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sackboy

Silver

Post by Sackboy » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:16 am

why is this not an uncommon sight?
Highly male-dominated workplaces with almost all of the positions of power being men?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:45 pm

Sackboy wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:20 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Highly male-dominated workplaces with almost all of the positions of power being men?
100%. If you haven't noticed this yet, take a gander once we're all back in the offices and you'll soon understand

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:45 pm
Sackboy wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:20 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

100%. If you haven't noticed this yet, take a gander once we're all back in the offices and you'll soon understand
I get that, but why not mix up the male and female ratio in a team? Also why put asian women all together? I see far too often all-male or all-female teams.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:24 pm

Because powerful men like having a team of (probably reasonably attractive) younger women at their beck and call?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:42 pm

Keep the doxxing going please. I'm nosy as hell and this is quite entertaining. Love horror stories lol

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:20 pm

At a small firm. One of the partners was a voracious jogger. I was a 24 yr old at the time, 5'7 and 145 lbs. He would always ask about my dating life, if I was eating healthy, and if I was jogging regularly. He would also try to set me up with his daughter's friends (we are about the same age). It got annoying. I made a comment to his wife in passing. She told me he was "full of shit." LOL

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:07 pm
Deb Festa at Milbank LA's alternative investments group is a well known must-avoid. Juniors have quit ASAP and it's known that incoming first years will frantically search for another job if they get placed in her group.
LOL is this why she’s constantly looking for new associates? That group is always understaffed and she lies to her interviewees and tells them she wants to make two new partners.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:39 pm

nixy wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:24 pm
Because powerful men like having a team of (probably reasonably attractive) younger women at their beck and call?
That's so gross...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:14 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Deb Festa at Milbank LA's alternative investments group is a well known must-avoid. Juniors have quit ASAP and it's known that incoming first years will frantically search for another job if they get placed in her group.
LOL is this why she’s constantly looking for new associates? That group is always understaffed and she lies to her interviewees and tells them she wants to make two new partners.
Yes. Everyone hates working for her, the associate churn is insane, and they often have to make one incoming 1L a sacrificial lamb (after said summer hears the whole time about how awful the group is). The work substance itself isn't helpful either because you just churn CLOs.

lol @ making a new AIP partner. Just lol.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:35 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:35 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:20 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yes. Everyone hates working for her, the associate churn is insane, and they often have to make one incoming 1L a sacrificial lamb (after said summer hears the whole time about how awful the group is). The work substance itself isn't helpful either because you just churn CLOs.

This is exaaaaactly the same story with David Marriott from Cravath. Sacrificial first years, or attorneys the firm doesn't mind losing forced to be staffed on there.

Why do firms protect partners like this? The firm MUST know.
$$$. They make money and have big clients. Easy as that. Partners wouldn't outright say they like or support a partner who is that much of an asshole that all associates around them are miserable, but at the end of the day, if said partner is netting a few million bucks a year after their comp, why would the firm care?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:45 pm

any screamers at STB or DPW?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:39 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:35 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:20 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:16 am

Firms aren't going to be upset about losing first years or sacrificial deadwood. And unfortunately being an asshole isn't a litigation risk. Racism and sexism, sure, but if a partner brings in enough money, settling the occasional associate lawsuit - b/c you know most associates won't sue b/c they want to get hired in future - isn't that big a financial risk.

I'm not defending any of this, but clearly it's not perceived as a financial risk b/c there's no effort to rein such problem partners in, and I'm sure they've crunched the numbers. (See Fight Club.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:45 pm
any screamers at STB or DPW?
Prob hard to find someone who is NOT a screamer

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:21 am

If we weren't all dead inside we should have an anonymous asshole tracker where every interaction with a partner who is acting like an asshole is reported so we can keep track

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:47 pm

I had a partner who was a nightmare. When I left, numerous partners said they were surprised I lasted so long working under the partner.

He never yelled. He just said things that would always be so condescending and rude. He would question my intelligence and didn’t trust any of the work I did. No other partners ever questioned me like that, and I have great annual evaluations.

He didn’t have a life outside of work. A divorced person with no responsibilities. When covid hit, I knew my limited work/life balance was gone.

I’d regularly have Saturday 10 pm calls followed up with 8 am emails on Sundays. I would be told there were urgent assignments late Saturday night that were due Sunday night. Then once I finished the assignments, the partner ignored them for weeks.

I’d get constant check-in calls and e-mails, because he liked to micromanage me.

I could go on... but the above is the general gist.

I complained to higher ups maybe 5-6 times during my time at the firm. Nothing changed. The partner is a rainmaker, so I just had to deal with it.

Luckily I was able to get out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:02 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sackboy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
His rotation is almost always staffed with all women, always withs one asian woman, too, I believe.
Hmm...this is odd. I worked with him (but not on his team), and didn’t notice this at all. Was friendly with me, and, at the very least, not “bad” enough that I think he should wind up on this list..

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:43 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:02 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sackboy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Hmm...this is odd. I worked with him (but not on his team), and didn’t notice this at all. Was friendly with me, and, at the very least, not “bad” enough that I think he should wind up on this list..
nice try, David!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:43 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
He most definitely belongs near the top of this list. Talk to anyone who was on his team.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:43 pm
I've since left the firm but there was a particularly difficult associate at my V3 (in the flagship corporate group) who was notorious for not respecting the work/life balance of her juniors. She made partner a year or two after I left, and I've heard she's even more insufferable now. Multiple juniors left because they were staffed on her deals.
Typhoon June?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:16 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I've since left the firm but there was a particularly difficult associate at my V3 (in the flagship corporate group) who was notorious for not respecting the work/life balance of her juniors. She made partner a year or two after I left, and I've heard she's even more insufferable now. Multiple juniors left because they were staffed on her deals.
Typhoon June?
Ohh god I never had to work with her personally, but a couple of my friends left bc of her (I bet some of the juniors mentioned in the post above)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:28 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:16 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Typhoon June?
Ohh god I never had to work with her personally, but a couple of my friends left bc of her (I bet some of the juniors mentioned in the post above)

I know someone who was once on a deal with her where she ordered the entire deal team to spend all day and night in a windowless conference room for literally 75 hours per week for a month. It reeked. One girl left for her friends engagement party when there was nothing particularly urgent and she still got yelled at. Regular emails at 11pm with question mark follow ups when not answered before 7am.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”