Gibson Dunn NY Office/Firm Thoughts?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Gibson Dunn NY Office/Firm Thoughts?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:40 pm

Thoughts on overall prestige/exit opportunities/culture/selectivity? Any info on them about anything on them at all would be greatly appreciated

Anonymous User

Re: Gibson Dunn NY Office/Firm Thoughts?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:54 pm

I think the Chambers rankings speak for themselves as far as prestige is concerned.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:22 pm

Not the most prestigious or selective firm, but still good enough

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:07 am

Great for litigation work, but only decent for corporate work

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:40 pm
Thoughts on overall prestige/exit opportunities/culture/selectivity? Any info on them about anything on them at all would be greatly appreciated
Gibson overall as a firm is generally known to be really selective even compared to its peer firms. They have GPA cutoffs even for laterals. Ranks also speak for themselves, they're ranked #6 in most selective firms. Once you get past the screener and your GPA meets their standards, they are highly selective in their CB for a particular "Gibson" personality.

Prestige wise, it's definitely a top tier elite firm especially for lit (not as prestigious as Wachtell/CSM, but on the same tier as K&E, Latham). They're the #1 lit firm no question. Corporate is strong but obvi no as strong as lit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:13 pm
Prestige wise, it's definitely a top tier elite firm especially for lit (not as prestigious as Wachtell/CSM, but on the same tier as K&E, Latham). They're the #1 lit firm no question. Corporate is strong but obvi no as strong as lit.
What do you mean by “the #1 lit firm no question” if they are also “not as prestigious as Wachtell/CSM, but on the same tier as K&E, Latham”?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:33 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
What do you mean by “the #1 lit firm no question” if they are also “not as prestigious as Wachtell/CSM, but on the same tier as K&E, Latham”?
I'm assuming the OP means that Wachtell/CSM are comparatively more prestigious over GDC in corporate, than GDC is over them in litigation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:55 pm

Depends on what you do. The NY appellate group is strong and largely centered around Randy Mastro. They had Caitlin Halligan but she went to Selendy. Despite the free-market system, only a handful of associates and partners consistently work in this practice. So I'd make sure you like the personalities in this small group.

As for trial-level lit, I've been told by partners that GDC NY is considered a step below the classic NY lit groups at CSM/S&C/PW/DPW/even WLRK with its unique focus (and it wasn't partners at these firms that said this). Of course, this might be an apples and oranges point - GDC NY isn't necessarily trying to be a classic NYC lit firm, which tends to focus a lot on securities.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Gibson overall as a firm is generally known to be really selective even compared to its peer firms. They have GPA cutoffs even for laterals. Ranks also speak for themselves, they're ranked #6 in most selective firms. Once you get past the screener and your GPA meets their standards, they are highly selective in their CB for a particular "Gibson" personality.

Is it common for biglaw to have GPA cut offs for laterals? I was 2.9 student and wondering if that cuts off many of my big law lateral opportunities.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:45 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Is it common for biglaw to have GPA cut offs for laterals? I was 2.9 student and wondering if that cuts off many of my big law lateral opportunities.
A 2.9 is low and it will be difficult for you to get biglaw unless you’re already in it.

Some firms have strict cutoffs for GPA even for laterals, but most don’t. Gibson Dunn is one that has a pretty strict cutoff. I was getting interviews with many V10s for a lateral position (for a high-need area), but Gibson told my recruiter that my GPA was a dealbreaker.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:22 pm
Not the most prestigious or selective firm, but still good enough
Gibson is known as one of the more selective and picky firms overall espc their DC and LA office but am not completely sure on specifically NY - and can confirm as OP in below said that they have strict GPA cutoffs, including lateraling.

As for prestige it's a v10 firm... so maybe OP can define a bit more what they mean by prestigious. As someone else wrote, it isn't Wachtell or CSM but it's certainly on the same lines of prestige as Latham and K&E.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
It's an elite firm, exit opportunities will be great coming from Gibson and besides 2-3 firms is indistinguishable from any of the other v10 firms. No one has commented on the culture of Gibson, but everyone I know, including people at competing firms have spoken very highly about the Gibson experience. Alongside Latham (at only one rank apart), it is the only other v10 firm that is also top 10 for the happiness of their associates. I have never heard anything bad about the people and culture at Gibson - only the opposite. Even spoke to those who have left and had only incredible things to say about the people and culture there. Don't think anyone can make a wrong choice going to an elite firm like Gibson.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Idk how much this matters, but their industry reputation is an A on ATL, and their insider rating, a B+.

Other law firms with an A on industry rep include: CSM, Cleary, DPW, Debevoise, K&E, STB

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:07 am
Not as top tier as their lit, given that their appellate lit is #1 in the country, and arguably has the strongest lit practice of all the firms.

I also notice no one has mentioned this but GDC is a top tier real estate firm in NY. #2 in RE overall. #1 in commercial RE and #2 in dirt RE.

Corp is still strong, depending on which particular practice group you want to go into, some are stronger than others. In M&A they still work on front of the page deals, and bc their lit is so strong, a lot of their lit clients often transfer over to the corporate side. The corp group is consistently growing and upping their ranks.

jackshunger

Bronze

Post by jackshunger » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:59 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Idk how much this matters, but their industry reputation is an A on ATL, and their insider rating, a B+.

Other law firms with an A on industry rep include: CSM, Cleary, DPW, Debevoise, K&E, STB
About as meaningful as your horoscope

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:39 pm

I mean they are Band 1 for general commercial lit on Chambers, which is primarily based on what the industry thinks about the practice, and the matters they have worked on (the only other Band 1 firms are CSM, PW, and S&C). Their appellate group is probably the best in NY (and maybe the country??). For contrast, PW doesn't really have one in NY. If you're going lit you'll have a hard time finding a more prestigious office. If you're transactional, it is very likely a tier below firms like CSM, S&C, DPW, etc. but it is still a very decent group. There are other groups like RE, where the firm really shines.

They also have high GPA floors at every single school (even Yale) so that helps for prestige I guess, although prestige is a silly thing sometimes.

The most important thing is that it may be the only NY office where the associates are actually happy to be there. It is a fantastic office and accepting an offer from them would be a bad decision in only very rare cases.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:39 pm
I mean they are Band 1 for general commercial lit on Chambers, which is primarily based on what the industry thinks about the practice, and the matters they have worked on (the only other Band 1 firms are CSM, PW, and S&C). Their appellate group is probably the best in NY (and maybe the country??). For contrast, PW doesn't really have one in NY. If you're going lit you'll have a hard time finding a more prestigious office. If you're transactional, it is very likely a tier below firms like CSM, S&C, DPW, etc. but it is still a very decent group. There are other groups like RE, where the firm really shines.

They also have high GPA floors at every single school (even Yale) so that helps for prestige I guess, although prestige is a silly thing sometimes.

The most important thing is that it may be the only NY office where the associates are actually happy to be there. It is a fantastic office and accepting an offer from them would be a bad decision in only very rare cases.
^^^^^^^^ completely agree with this

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:12 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Is this for real or just hyperbole? I've never heard "actually happy to be there" used to describe associates in biglaw...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:34 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:12 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Is this for real or just hyperbole? I've never heard "actually happy to be there" used to describe associates in biglaw...
I am not the OP of the original statement, but I've heard this too on multiple accounts. Both from Gibson associates, and from associates at other firms whose friends work at GDC. The consensus has been that associates are generally happy at Gibson and have no qualms. I also spoke to an associate who joined with the intent to bounce after 2-3 years but has been so happy he's stayed 7 years and seen no reason to leave - also spoke to a lateral who said she will never leave GDC for another firm. GDC is also one of only two v10 firms who also are on top 10 for most happy/satisfied associates

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:04 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:07 am
Not as top tier as their lit, given that their appellate lit is #1 in the country, and arguably has the strongest lit practice of all the firms.

I also notice no one has mentioned this but GDC is a top tier real estate firm in NY. #2 in RE overall. #1 in commercial RE and #2 in dirt RE.

Corp is still strong, depending on which particular practice group you want to go into, some are stronger than others. In M&A they still work on front of the page deals, and bc their lit is so strong, a lot of their lit clients often transfer over to the corporate side. The corp group is consistently growing and upping their ranks.
Echoing the note re: real estate. GDC and Fried Frank are the clear top firms in NY, and GDC is arguably the top nationwide, to the extent transactional is of interest to OP.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”