When should I give notice?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

When should I give notice?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:56 pm

I'm a junior associate at a biglaw firm. I'm starting a new job on January 18th, so my last day will be on January 15th.

Trying to decide if I should give notice tomorrow (the day that my bonus is payable) or if I should wait until the 4th. Any thoughts?

Lacepiece23

Silver

Re: When should I give notice?

Post by Lacepiece23 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:56 pm
I'm a junior associate at a biglaw firm. I'm starting a new job on January 18th, so my last day will be on January 15th.

Trying to decide if I should give notice tomorrow (the day that my bonus is payable) or if I should wait until the 4th. Any thoughts?
I’d personally wait until that money clears before doing anything. I’d risk the “burning of bridges,” which I think is overstated.

Will people really remember that you have 13 rather than 14 days notice or whatever.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:06 pm

Bonus is already in my account, it's just "payable" as of December 30th (so I have to be employed and in good standing then).

I'd prefer to give notice earlier as then I could start handing stuff off.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:06 pm
Bonus is already in my account, it's just "payable" as of December 30th (so I have to be employed and in good standing then).

I'd prefer to give notice earlier as then I could start handing stuff off.
Also curious others' thoughts on this. I really don't think waiting til the 4th to give notice helps your case in any way, and might as well just give notice ASAP (i.e., the 30th), but definitely open to other thoughts.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:38 pm

What would be the benefit of waiting if the check has cleared? Not bothering people over the holidays? If there’s a partner you work with who you know is working anyway, I’d just do it sooner rather than later. I’m sure they’d slightly prefer the extra time to hand things off.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:48 pm

I think OP's concern is that if OP gives notice on the 30th, OP's firm will say "you're fired, also, since you are not employed with us as of today, the day your bonus is payable (even though we paid it to you a day early), you need to pay it back to us."

Seems far-fetched, but wondering if there is a benefit of waiting until the 31st to give notice.

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:43 pm

Even giving notice on Jan. 4 gives you 10 business days to transition matters. That's plenty of time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:34 pm

OP here. I think I'm going to give notice on the 31st so I'm clear on the bonus and can hopefully enjoy the weekend a little more.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:48 pm
I think OP's concern is that if OP gives notice on the 30th, OP's firm will say "you're fired, also, since you are not employed with us as of today, the day your bonus is payable (even though we paid it to you a day early), you need to pay it back to us."

Seems far-fetched, but wondering if there is a benefit of waiting until the 31st to give notice.
Oh, ok, sure. Do it on the 31st then.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:28 pm

I'm giving notice on Monday 1/4 because I don't intend to look at my phone tomorrow (or over the weekend), even if it's just to call a partner. Congrats to everyone who is on their way out!

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:56 pm

I would give notice on January 4th.

12YrsAnAssociate

New

Post by 12YrsAnAssociate » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:02 pm

Man, why not do an out of office that says you're attending to a personal matter and will not be available until 1/4. What's the worst they could do if they don't like it?

Whatislaw

Bronze

Post by Whatislaw » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:20 pm

I've been curious about giving notice. If you give notice and the firm says you're "fired" in response, does that still count as a resignation? Also, anyone ever pull off giving notice to a firm they like but are truly moving on just to pursue better opportunities (i.e. more comp) on such good terms that they could later return to this firm if they wanted? I'd love to learn more about how that could be executed for future use purposes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:23 pm

12YrsAnAssociate wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:02 pm
Man, why not do an out of office that says you're attending to a personal matter and will not be available until 1/4. What's the worst they could do if they don't like it?
Is there a downside to giving notice on the 31st that I'm not tracking?

Whatislaw

Bronze

Post by Whatislaw » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:27 pm

I think its just an issue of whether you're willing to sell your New Year's eve and the first weekend to Partners asking you to transition your cases.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:04 pm

Oh I'm hoping to save my weekend. It's set to suck pretty bad but can tell people to fuck off a little more.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:04 pm
Oh I'm hoping to save my weekend. It's set to suck pretty bad but can tell people to fuck off a little more.
Likewise. Kind of hoping to be shown the door to be honest.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:29 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:04 pm
Likewise. Kind of hoping to be shown the door to be honest.
Like the ideal is that I give notice, get restaffed pretty early and then coast for a couple weeks.

And if people try to drop stuff on me I'll just do it when I do it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:01 am

Can say that pulling an almost all nighter has made the decision to give notice tomorrow 100%

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:01 am
Can say that pulling an almost all nighter has made the decision to give notice tomorrow 100%
Ha, same boat. I'm also getting super snippy emails from a partner, so just excited to let them know. Imagine they'll do a surprised Pikachu face.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:22 am

Just gave notice. Yay!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:28 am

Whatislaw wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:20 pm
Also, anyone ever pull off giving notice to a firm they like but are truly moving on just to pursue better opportunities (i.e. more comp) on such good terms that they could later return to this firm if they wanted? I'd love to learn more about how that could be executed for future use purposes.
If you’re going in-house or to a firm in a city where your firm doesn’t have an office, and you’re well-liked, it’s pretty common to get at least an implication that they’d be happy to have you back. There’s nothing special you’d need to do about giving notice other than giving 2 weeks and transitioning your matters well. If you’re leaving for a different firm in the same city? That’ll be trickier, but it’s still probably possible if you just emphasize what you like about the new place (not just comp) and don’t imply you’re unhappy at your current firm.

12YrsAnAssociate

New

Post by 12YrsAnAssociate » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:23 pm
12YrsAnAssociate wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:02 pm
Is there a downside to giving notice on the 31st that I'm not tracking?
No, you're right. My point was that there's not much down side if you're not afraid of getting a bad review next November. But if the money has cleared, I think giving notice on the 31st works. Congrats. I'm fucking buried at work and I'd love to give notice, but I've gotten too used to spending money like I'll always have a biglaw salary.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:55 pm

I was planning on giving notice on January 4, but I am having work piled on my plate right now, including what looks like working all day tomorrow. Should I just wake up tomorrow and tell them I’m done?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:38 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:28 am
Whatislaw wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:20 pm
Also, anyone ever pull off giving notice to a firm they like but are truly moving on just to pursue better opportunities (i.e. more comp) on such good terms that they could later return to this firm if they wanted? I'd love to learn more about how that could be executed for future use purposes.
If you’re going in-house or to a firm in a city where your firm doesn’t have an office, and you’re well-liked, it’s pretty common to get at least an implication that they’d be happy to have you back. There’s nothing special you’d need to do about giving notice other than giving 2 weeks and transitioning your matters well. If you’re leaving for a different firm in the same city? That’ll be trickier, but it’s still probably possible if you just emphasize what you like about the new place (not just comp) and don’t imply you’re unhappy at your current firm.
Hmm at my experience level, I would be thinking of another firm in the same area. Not same city, but same general area. Any recommendations on factors to emphasize if I can't use comp?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”