DPW vs. PW vs. Kirkland vs. Weil. All NY restructuring. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DPW vs. PW vs. Kirkland vs. Weil. All NY restructuring.

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:19 pm
ETA: If you want to do debtor work, go to Kirkland or Weil. Agree that the associates that can survive and thrive in Kirkland are excellent but I doubt anyone is jumping to other shops as an equity partner after five years.
Not the same anon, but assume they meant nonshare partner at that level

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:19 pm

For people who are in hybrid roles at distressed credits fund: do you see any merit at all in experiences at a debtor shop? Is there any edge for associates from K&E/Weil when it comes to generating alpha at those funds?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:19 pm
For people who are in hybrid roles at distressed credits fund: do you see any merit at all in experiences at a debtor shop? Is there any edge for associates from K&E/Weil when it comes to generating alpha at those funds?
You're over-thinking it. If you want to break out and be "that person" who can really advise a distressed shop in a genuinely intelligent way, not just assessing the legal issues and tying them to the business issues but seeing critical value plays as they arise, you're going to be able to step up around 5th year, maybe end of 4th year if you're really a star.

You'll have that opportunity at any of the main shops mentioned here -- PW/Weil/K&E/DPW will all give you the pedigree and, if you're good, the exposure to sink your teeth into that kind of work.

The main difference if that if you do ad hoc engagements at PW/DPW, you'll see the usual group of players again and again, especially on messy stuff, and if you're good you'll build relationships with anchor tenants of those groups so that the bakeoff with the group on a new engagement is less beauty pageant and more "let's get [x] and [y] from [firm] on this and have them looking at docs." If you're at a debtor-focused shop, there is likewise an abundance of opportunity, but the biggest opportunities come from being in the room where the negotiations happen, and letting the principals on the other side see how you operate. It's a little more indirect (esp. w/ COVID) but those opportunities come fast and furious around 5th year and if you're good, it won't be lost on the partners being asked to handle a creditor matter nor will it be lost on the distressed guys you and your client are negotiating with.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anon at a fund here in a pure investment seat that does restructurings as well.

Again this doesn't really matter much. There is no correlation that I've seen of people who I negotiate alongside or against on prior law firm. It kind of feels like you didn't get offers at DPW /PW and are trying to justify going to K&E / Weil for a path to get out being a lawyer.

My recommendation is to do your biglaw summer and recruit for RX banking or better yet a fund. 4-5 years out of school, you likely will be more senior / the same level at a fund if you follow that path and there are more people who make that move.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:41 am
Anonymous User wrote:

Again this doesn't really matter much. There is no correlation that I've seen of people who I negotiate alongside or against on prior law firm. It kind of feels like you didn't get offers at DPW /PW and are trying to justify going to K&E / Weil for a path to get out being a lawyer.

My recommendation is to do your biglaw summer and recruit for RX banking or better yet a fund. 4-5 years out of school, you likely will be more senior / the same level at a fund if you follow that path and there are more people who make that move.
Different 2L anon. Would summering at a name brand place like DPW or P,W *alone* give me a decent shot at recruiting into Rx banking or funds as a 3L? Or is that completely unrealistic? I have 1 year of IB prior to LS (shitty middle-market boutique) + 3 years in consulting (not a big name either), but FWIW I'm top 10% at a CCN — though I'm guessing finance shops don't care much about grades relative to experience.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:06 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Different 2L anon. Would summering at a name brand place like DPW or P,W *alone* give me a decent shot at recruiting into Rx banking or funds as a 3L? Or is that completely unrealistic? I have 1 year of IB prior to LS (shitty middle-market boutique) + 3 years in consulting (not a big name either), but FWIW I'm top 10% at a CCN — though I'm guessing finance shops don't care much about grades relative to experience.
you have to reach out to IB recruiting club at the MBA side of your CCN. All have great MBA programs at least for banking recruiting. 1yr at MM+3yr consulting is not the most ideal background but certainly not the worst. With DPW/PW on your back + husling networking may give you a job but RX banking is really a small world so it's hard to guarantee your spot. You also need to know all the technicals about restructuring. It's even more technical for full-time interview.

And yes. They don't give a damn about your law school gpa.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:47 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:06 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

you have to reach out to IB recruiting club at the MBA side of your CCN. All have great MBA programs at least for banking recruiting. 1yr at MM+3yr consulting is not the most ideal background but certainly not the worst. With DPW/PW on your back + husling networking may give you a job but RX banking is really a small world so it's hard to guarantee your spot. You also need to know all the technicals about restructuring. It's even more technical for full-time interview.

And yes. They don't give a damn about your law school gpa.

Fund anon here.

Law school GPA does minorly matter. If someone cold reaches out to me with top 10% grades at CCN I'm going to believe in them being whipsmart and able to learn than if someone was median. Easier for me to go to the senior partner and being this guy is top 10% at a top school, he might be a bit soft on technicals but he can learn.

I'd recommend pinging every single associate or VP restructuring banker who has a JD that you can find on Linkedin. There's probably 20 or so, maybe a tad less. With 4 years of IB / consulting work experience, even if not great firms,you should be able to get some traction. Check out Ducera and GLC as recruiting at those shops will be a ton less structured and they are pretty well respected.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:40 pm

Thanks to the 2 previous anons, that's all helpful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:25 pm

Does anyone on here actually like working in restructuring at a law firm? It sounds from this forum like everyone is just trying to get out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:25 pm
Does anyone on here actually like working in restructuring at a law firm? It sounds from this forum like everyone is just trying to get out.
5th year at one of the firms discussed here. I like it better than any other practice I tried or my friends are in - wouldn’t have lasted this long doing something else. I would be happy staying at a firm long term if it was 20-30% less intense. But the nature of BigLaw is that anything short of unwavering growth is viewed negatively. So it’s only getting more intense. But I suspect that’s the same for every other practice group

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:00 am
Anonymous User wrote:
5th year at one of the firms discussed here. I like it better than any other practice I tried or my friends are in - wouldn’t have lasted this long doing something else. I would be happy staying at a firm long term if it was 20-30% less intense. But the nature of BigLaw is that anything short of unwavering growth is viewed negatively. So it’s only getting more intense. But I suspect that’s the same for every other practice group
Fund anon here.

Honestly the rx lawyers I work with seem to really like it. Same for the RX IBD guys. Quite a few people go from distressed funds back to RX IBD or RX consulting which would be unheard of on the vanilla LBO side.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
DPW / PW anon from above. I'm happy with it (interesting law, add a lot of value to the deal, room for creativity, super "hairy" deals, lit does doc review and corporate does due diligence). Could not imagine doing anything else (though maybe lit senior would be fun? idk I'd like to take a deposition or two just to do it).

But you can make significantly more $$$ at a fund (and some more $$$ in banking), and (unlike in other buyside roles) ex-lawyers get those roles reasonably often.

FWIW the only practice group that likes their work as much as we do seems to be tax.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:40 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
DPW / PW anon from above. I'm happy with it (interesting law, add a lot of value to the deal, room for creativity, super "hairy" deals, lit does doc review and corporate does due diligence). Could not imagine doing anything else (though maybe lit senior would be fun? idk I'd like to take a deposition or two just to do it).

But you can make significantly more $$$ at a fund (and some more $$$ in banking), and (unlike in other buyside roles) ex-lawyers get those roles reasonably often.

FWIW the only practice group that likes their work as much as we do seems to be tax.
Largely right, except that your comp as a partner at the law firm is largely the same as an MD in rx banking/consulting

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:32 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Largely right, except that your comp as a partner at the law firm is largely the same as an MD in rx banking/consulting
And how much would that be?

forthelols

New

Post by forthelols » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Can you pm me?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:35 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

My understanding:

Rx associates at ibanks make significantly more than similarly situated law firm associates (I think typically around 50% more, but maybe even more than that). At the MD level, comp is much more variable. Rainmakers at top banks make more than law partners. But the run-of-the-mill, non-rainmaker MD does not necessarily make more than a partner at a top-tier restructuring practice. Compensation is also more stable at a firm. So you have more downside protection if Rx is slow in any given year, but a smaller likelihood of an absolute blowout year as well.

I know nothing about comp at funds but would assume that it can be much higher or much lower than either a firm or an IB in any given year based almost entirely on the fund's performance.

Anyone on here who knows more than me -- feel free to correct the above if it's wrong.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:51 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:35 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

My understanding:

Rx associates at ibanks make significantly more than similarly situated law firm associates (I think typically around 50% more, but maybe even more than that). At the MD level, comp is much more variable. Rainmakers at top banks make more than law partners. But the run-of-the-mill, non-rainmaker MD does not necessarily make more than a partner at a top-tier restructuring practice. Compensation is also more stable at a firm. So you have more downside protection if Rx is slow in any given year, but a smaller likelihood of an absolute blowout year as well.

I know nothing about comp at funds but would assume that it can be much higher or much lower than either a firm or an IB in any given year based almost entirely on the fund's performance.

Anyone on here who knows more than me -- feel free to correct the above if it's wrong.
Fund anon here.

The run of the mill, non-rainmaker MD makes significantly less than an average equity partner at a lockstep or modified lockstep top RX law firm.

Funds can vary but if you are the workout guy / gal at a private credit or direct lending fund, your compensation is likely going to be less long-term than an RX banker or equity partner at a top law firm. Not many seats in private credit or direct lending where you clear more than a couple million a year unless you have significant equity in the management company. This goes for partners as well. Distressed HFs and certain distressed debt funds of course you can make incredible amounts.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:22 pm

Anon bc I work at Kirkland & don't want to be identified. Take all below with a grain of salt, I can't speak for everyone, nor do I claim to.

Kirkland RX is an amazing group. I know people on TLS think Kirkland is full of screamers and people who work 24-7, but it's not that bad the first few years because you're still learning the ropes. The hours are cyclical, like a lot of practices -- you'll have heavy months and slower months, sometimes the heavy months will be a marathon depending on the larger economy, like earlier this year.

The group's very conscious that people may not come in with backgrounds in RX or finance and they treat you well, reasonably & pretty kindly as you learn. People in RX are also generally funny and agreeable with good personalities and who value their time outside of work, as a result, partners/high-level associates tend to respect your time as well. During office time, people are social and the group genuinely enjoys going on retreats and hanging out with each other. But, at the same time, there's no culture at Kirkland (even before Covid-19) of being online/at the office if you're not busy & they've been really good about working from home during the pandemic. The partners aren't big on unnecessary fire drills, and even as a young associate you probably won't be asked to work in a manner that isn't commensurate with the actual urgency of the assignment (very often). They take a real interest in you, your mindset & your development.

It can be really stressful because of the amount of work KE RX churns out, but it's also really cool to be a part of a group of people that are literally the best in their fields. KE RX comes up with some insanely innovative ways to use the Bankruptcy Code and the group is full of really strategic and smart attorneys. The pre-packs, for example, that get done are field-leading. Some other points that are influential: the group doesn't often take laterals from other firms so they really place an emphasis on pulling seniors associates/ partners/ management from the firm's / group's own ranks. KE also owns the midmarket in RX debtor-side work so you will be able to practice your skills earlier in your career on smaller to mid-sized restructurings.

In short, I love my job & feel honestly blessed to have chosen KE RX when I was going through OCI and in your shoes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:22 pm
Kirkland RX is an amazing group.

KE RX comes up with some insanely innovative ways to use the Bankruptcy Code and the group is full of really strategic and smart attorneys. The pre-packs, for example, that get done are field-leading.
Rx associate at one of the four firms mentioned here. I personally agree 100% with the quoted K&E asso’s response. I’ve seen more than 20 times in motions or elsewhere where K&E asks for relief that’s just bizarre/too aggressive. And then we sat down and thought about it and more often than not we realized that K&E’s arguments/approaches/use of the code or cases kind of make a lot of sense; they seem bizarre and aggressive only because nobody else did things this way before.

Never worked at K&E but this kind of innovative thinking in their restructuring group imo is just one manifestation of how K&E is willing to break away from traditional ways of practicing law. That may be important if you’re the kind of person who just hates following traditions and old habits for no compelling reasons like most of the lawyers do.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
In short, I love my job & feel honestly blessed to have chosen KE RX when I was going through OCI and in your shoes.
Helpful post, thank you. Now and then it’s nice to have some counter-programming to the usual TLS K&E hatefest.

Your comments definitely gave me — a kinda bookish 2L that always pictured him/herself at one of the “genteel” firms — food for thought. (I have an offer from one of the OP firms and callbacks with the other three.) Can reserved ppl / introverts succeed in K&E RX or are those traits just too antithetical to the ‘K&E way’?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anon bc I work at Kirkland & don't want to be identified. Take all below with a grain of salt, I can't speak for everyone, nor do I claim to.

Kirkland RX is an amazing group. I know people on TLS think Kirkland is full of screamers and people who work 24-7, but it's not that bad the first few years because you're still learning the ropes. The hours are cyclical, like a lot of practices -- you'll have heavy months and slower months, sometimes the heavy months will be a marathon depending on the larger economy, like earlier this year.

The group's very conscious that people may not come in with backgrounds in RX or finance and they treat you well, reasonably & pretty kindly as you learn. People in RX are also generally funny and agreeable with good personalities and who value their time outside of work, as a result, partners/high-level associates tend to respect your time as well. During office time, people are social and the group genuinely enjoys going on retreats and hanging out with each other. But, at the same time, there's no culture at Kirkland (even before Covid-19) of being online/at the office if you're not busy & they've been really good about working from home during the pandemic. The partners aren't big on unnecessary fire drills, and even as a young associate you probably won't be asked to work in a manner that isn't commensurate with the actual urgency of the assignment (very often). They take a real interest in you, your mindset & your development.

It can be really stressful because of the amount of work KE RX churns out, but it's also really cool to be a part of a group of people that are literally the best in their fields. KE RX comes up with some insanely innovative ways to use the Bankruptcy Code and the group is full of really strategic and smart attorneys. The pre-packs, for example, that get done are field-leading. Some other points that are influential: the group doesn't often take laterals from other firms so they really place an emphasis on pulling seniors associates/ partners/ management from the firm's / group's own ranks. KE also owns the midmarket in RX debtor-side work so you will be able to practice your skills earlier in your career on smaller to mid-sized restructurings.

Thanks for the really helpful post. Can I ask:

1. Do you have thoughts on KE vs. Weil?

2. Debtor firm vs. creditor firm more generally?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:17 pm

Anon KE attorney from the above post:

1. Thoughts on KE-Weil Well, I'm definitely a bit biased here, and I'm not super familiar with Weil as a work environment. However, from my observations of Kirkland's group/data, they are becoming pretty incomparable, partly because of the pandemic's crazy effect on the RX group's workload this year. No doubt, Weil is the second in the market as a peer firm -- solidly so, and they do great work. This isn't a negative comparison for Weil. But the size of the market share/RX profits/work/mega-bankruptcies taken on by Kirkland in comparison with Weil (from what I've seen) is just much higher for KE. There's no other way to say it, Kirkland is peer-less in RX profit, expertise, and workflow.

This is in your interest as a Kirkland attorney because it means the hours are not particularly challenging to come by, coupled with the free-market system it means you have real control over your career while being assured that you'll receive work without too many long slow periods. KE also does give market-shattering bonuses (lol just trolling the meme). The bonuses are always above market rate, and the individualized bonus calculation works in favor of attorneys from busy groups because there are more hours to go around.

2. DR side v. CR side generally? This year may be an anomaly but I'm aware of people doing creditor side work this year. I think as Kirkland's reputation for RX expands the options for creditor side work are going to expand as a result of becoming the full-service firm for many companies pre & post-restructuring. That's just my intuition, I have nothing to back it up with. But, partners often do note that we are more of a DR oriented group. That doesn't mean you won't do creditor side work, especially in the middle market where younger attorneys/junior attorneys often do more advanced work. This is a question I recommend you discussing withs someone from the group that you're officially in touch with, they can give you a more accurate picture. Everyone is super nice and very excited to help people deciding on whether to join.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:17 pm
Anon KE attorney from the above post:

1. Thoughts on KE-Weil Well, I'm definitely a bit biased here, and I'm not super familiar with Weil as a work environment. However, from my observations of Kirkland's group/data, they are becoming pretty incomparable, partly because of the pandemic's crazy effect on the RX group's workload this year. No doubt, Weil is the second in the market as a peer firm -- solidly so, and they do great work. This isn't a negative comparison for Weil. But the size of the market share/RX profits/work/mega-bankruptcies taken on by Kirkland in comparison with Weil (from what I've seen) is just much higher for KE. There's no other way to say it, Kirkland is peer-less in RX profit, expertise, and workflow.

This is in your interest as a Kirkland attorney because it means the hours are not particularly challenging to come by, coupled with the free-market system it means you have real control over your career while being assured that you'll receive work without too many long slow periods. KE also does give market-shattering bonuses (lol just trolling the meme). The bonuses are always above market rate, and the individualized bonus calculation works in favor of attorneys from busy groups because there are more hours to go around.

2. DR side v. CR side generally? I may be an anomaly but I've been doing creditor side work this year. I think as Kirkland's reputation for RX expands the options for creditor side work are going to expand as a result of becoming the full-service firm for many companies pre & post-restructuring. That's just my intuition, I have nothing to back it up with. But, partners often do note that we are more of a DR oriented group. That doesn't mean you won't do creditor side work, especially in the middle market where younger attorneys/junior attorneys often do more advanced work. This is a question I recommend you discussing withs someone from the group that you're officially in touch with, they can give you a more accurate picture. Everyone is super nice and very excited to help people deciding on whether to join.
PW/DPW senior that spends a lot of time working across KE/Weil.

1. My experience working across Weil/KE is mostly similar: An NSP/senior that has authority to make most decisions plus a designated mid-level that manages what seems to be a small army of juniors, each of whom is tasked with their own discrete motions/documents. Presumably the juniors are staffed this way across several deals. A minor difference is that Weil seems more centralized/structured - I never know who the juniors are because they're all sitting behind some group listserv (BFR-PROJECT-TLS@WEIL) and if I need to discuss a document, it all goes through that dedicated midlevel. Kirkland has been more of a mixed bag - usually the midlevel passes things off to the relevant junior directly (which can be frustrating if the junior doesn't know what's going on in other parts of the deal) and the senior/midlevel associates seem to have more room to make the "everyday" decisions. If we don't like those decisions then it gets escalated up. I generally prefer working across from Weil because there's a clear point of contact but 9/10 times the distinction doesn't really matter. Cool people at both and both firms are excellent at running a case.

2. I could imagine KE having the more profitable group but in my experience Weil does more of the "mega" deals that tend to be messy free falls (e.g., Sears, PG&E, AMR, GM, Westinghouse) whereas Kirkland seems to lean towards prepacks that originate from their sponsor clients. Obviously Weil does prepacks too and Kirkland has its fair share of mega deals but I don't think it's quite right to say Weil is second to Kirkland, at least in New York.

3. Debtor/Creditor. The debtor experience is much more intuitive and digestible for a new grad - it will look and feel like your bankruptcy course in law school. You are a bankruptcy lawyer first and foremost and all the corporate/finance stuff will generally get passed to other teams. You'll learn the mechanics of a chapter 11 case one motion and agreement at a time. Also, your clients are almost always going through this for the first time so your team has to educate the management/board on bankruptcy 101 - which helps reinforce your own knowledge as a junior. By contrast, unless you already have a finance background, the creditor experience will feel like a steeper slope and be more jargon-y. Your entry point in the deal starts on the finance side - you'll need to digest the [credit agreement, collateral docs, indenture] so you can advise the clients on their offensive/defensive options. The clients themselves will ask more nuanced questions because, as repeat players, they already have a good grasp of the bankruptcy process and legal issues. Creditor deals are typically more discrete, which generally means lower hours and easier to juggle multiple deals at once.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:19 pm

Not the OP, but another 2L anon. Is it fair to say that as a general rule, someone who’s interested in restructuring (but not dead-set on it vs. other corporate groups) should not take Cravath or SullCrom over DPW or P,W?

(I only ask because someone was asking about WLRK in the same vein, earlier ITT. I have these offers but really cannot make up my mind.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:55 pm

How much do the DPW or PW RX groups slow down when it’s not a pandemic and there aren’t a ton of big Ch. 11s?

Is it ever slow enough that RX associates at these shops have to worry about job security? Or more realistically, would the RX associates get staffed on other corporate matters if there’s not enough restructuring work to go around?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”