Working from home post COVID? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: Working from home post COVID?

Post by RaceJudicata » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:23 pm

WhatIsLaw69 wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:07 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:52 pm
about to start V50 biglaw in a secondary market (Chicago, LA, Houston/Dallas).
Forgive me, but aren't all of these considered major markets?
Yes.

YA_Tittle

New

Post by YA_Tittle » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:56 pm

WhatIsLaw69 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Some people would say New York and maybe DC are the only major markets.

cisscum

New

Post by cisscum » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:26 pm

YA_Tittle wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:56 pm
WhatIsLaw69 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Blatant dc trolling

LawrenceGazebo

New

Post by LawrenceGazebo » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:32 pm

YA_Tittle wrote:
WhatIsLaw69 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Nobody but you is saying the only major markets are New York and DC

lolwutpar

Bronze

Post by lolwutpar » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:37 pm

I have zero desire to go back and the partners I work for are a mixed bag, I think. I don't think full time WFH is feasible, but I'd just be coming in 1-2 days a week if forced. No commute, save money by eating at home, can do whatever I want if I'm slow and partners aren't around to walk by your office and decide to give you an assignment? WFH is great.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jotarokujo

Bronze

Post by jotarokujo » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:40 pm

Honestly i feel bad for folks in law school right now. I feel like lockdown is better for people in biglaw than people in law school

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:07 pm

Do you think biglaw would allow you to take a 20% pay cut, live anywhere and WFH? I'd so do it. NYC rent is crazy.

lolwutpar

Bronze

Post by lolwutpar » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:07 pm
Do you think biglaw would allow you to take a 20% pay cut, live anywhere and WFH? I'd so do it. NYC rent is crazy.
No, but considering partners care so much about money you'd think they'd be keen to reduce the exorbitant rent they pay for offices.

Plus, there are ethical/liability issues. You couldn't work in a state where they have no office, for example. They're already getting nervous about (for example), CA barred attorneys going back home in working in Idaho or something for the last several months.

avenuem

Bronze

Post by avenuem » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:28 pm

LawrenceGazebo wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:32 pm
YA_Tittle wrote:
WhatIsLaw69 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Nobody but you is saying the only major markets are New York and DC
Agreed. The only major market is NY. That's it.

-DC isn't a major market today, or tomorrow, or ever.

-Even if DC was a major market, it's not as major as NY.

-Assuming arguendo that DC was as major as NY, most people still prefer NY.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:33 pm

lol okay.

Amicus_Curiae2013

New

Post by Amicus_Curiae2013 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:07 am

Any info on corporate V5's take on post-covid WFH? I have seen many of my friends go to West Coast firms because of face time requirements in the V5 corporate groups.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:48 pm

Amicus_Curiae2013 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:07 am
Any info on corporate V5's take on post-covid WFH? I have seen many of my friends go to West Coast firms because of face time requirements in the V5 corporate groups.
Wondering this tool

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:11 pm

I can see it both ways. I think WFH for people who want it could absolutely be the norm and I support that. I'm married and have kids and would love to be home more often. However, we live in the suburbs and part of me loves going into the city (even if its for work). I like going out for a drink after work or hitting a new restaraunt for lunch. I know I could technically still do that with WFH, but my commute into the city is about 45 min- 1 hour and I know I wouldn't do it unless I had to.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Amicus_Curiae2013

New

Post by Amicus_Curiae2013 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:53 pm

Can anyone employed in a V5/10 corporate group chime in please? I am hearing from many firms V20+ that they may implement a 2-3 day in office schedule post covid19. (Of course subject to the preferences of the partner one is working with).

lolwutpar

Bronze

Post by lolwutpar » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:01 pm

Amicus_Curiae2013 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:53 pm
Can anyone employed in a V5/10 corporate group chime in please? I am hearing from many firms V20+ that they may implement a 2-3 day in office schedule post covid19. (Of course subject to the preferences of the partner one is working with).
lmao who cares about these arbitrary distinctions? Why are you so concerned with what the v10 or v5 firms are doing? Skadden and Latham are going to approach it differently.

Amicus_Curiae2013

New

Post by Amicus_Curiae2013 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:21 pm

Don’t be concerned why I asked. Either you are working in a corporate group at one of those places and understand the various billing and face time requirements or you don’t.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:31 pm

Amicus_Curiae2013 wrote:
My v20 corporate group hasn't said anything.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lolwutpar

Bronze

Post by lolwutpar » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:54 pm

Amicus_Curiae2013 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:21 pm
Don’t be concerned why I asked. Either you are working in a corporate group at one of those places and understand the various billing and face time requirements or you don’t.
I'm concerned because it's a dumb question that shows complete ignorance of how practice is. In reality, even if a firm had a policy, it's completely office/partner dependent. You work with a partner who's super into facetime? It doesn't matter whether the firm "allows" 2-3 days WFH. Your ass is going to be in the office every day.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:19 am

What I resent most about this situation is how clear it has become that the entire system is built around extroverts or people who otherwise prefer to be in the office. I am genuinely more productive at home - I have ADHD and having my phone constantly ringing, and people dropping in, and hearing every single word the secretaries are saying outside my office all day even with the door shut, makes it a lot harder for me to get anything done. I also waste a ton of time commuting, and the volume of unavoidable social interactions in the office takes a lot of my mental energy that could otherwise be spent on work.

Also, although I get that this is not true of every practice, all of the above costs are basically all loss no gain because the only thing that is materially different about WFH for me is that boomer partners are not up on technology so we can’t just have a well-integrated remote phone system and instead have to rely on the messier approach of calling each other on cell phones. Other than that, my substantive work experience is basically identical - I rarely had in-person meetings pre-COVID, and even those that I did have still typically had people having to dial-in from other offices. The only thing my firm is missing is the satisfaction of seeing that my ID card was scanned in for another day of shared suffering in the office.

Personal ranting aside, it’s unfortunate that we can’t just get on board with the idea that some people are happiest and most productive in the office (let them come in!), some are better with a mix (hot desk arrangement!) and some are better at home (stay home!).

To OP: my firm (a boutique in nyc) has not conveyed anything specific about future plans. As someone else said, the baseline assumption seems to be that we’re all dying to come back. If it wasn’t for the fact that thousands of people are sick and dying every day, I would be hoping for this to last another year, at which point I think we might see a more permanent societal shift re: attitudes toward remote work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:27 am

lolwutpar wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:54 pm
Amicus_Curiae2013 wrote:
I'm concerned because it's a dumb question that shows complete ignorance of how practice is. In reality, even if a firm had a policy, it's completely office/partner dependent. You work with a partner who's super into facetime? It doesn't matter whether the firm "allows" 2-3 days WFH. Your ass is going to be in the office every day.
I am not concerned about your concerns. There are people here qualified to give their input. They usually don't associate themselves with "dumb," "lmao," "who cares about xyzzy," "ass," "lolwuttpar" etc... Please move on and let the adults contribute. Thank you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:31 pm
Amicus_Curiae2013 wrote:
My v20 corporate group hasn't said anything.
Thank you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:19 am
What I resent most about this situation is how clear it has become that the entire system is built around extroverts or people who otherwise prefer to be in the office. I am genuinely more productive at home - I have ADHD and having my phone constantly ringing, and people dropping in, and hearing every single word the secretaries are saying outside my office all day even with the door shut, makes it a lot harder for me to get anything done. I also waste a ton of time commuting, and the volume of unavoidable social interactions in the office takes a lot of my mental energy that could otherwise be spent on work.

Also, although I get that this is not true of every practice, all of the above costs are basically all loss no gain because the only thing that is materially different about WFH for me is that boomer partners are not up on technology so we can’t just have a well-integrated remote phone system and instead have to rely on the messier approach of calling each other on cell phones. Other than that, my substantive work experience is basically identical - I rarely had in-person meetings pre-COVID, and even those that I did have still typically had people having to dial-in from other offices. The only thing my firm is missing is the satisfaction of seeing that my ID card was scanned in for another day of shared suffering in the office.

Personal ranting aside, it’s unfortunate that we can’t just get on board with the idea that some people are happiest and most productive in the office (let them come in!), some are better with a mix (hot desk arrangement!) and some are better at home (stay home!).

To OP: my firm (a boutique in nyc) has not conveyed anything specific about future plans. As someone else said, the baseline assumption seems to be that we’re all dying to come back. If it wasn’t for the fact that thousands of people are sick and dying every day, I would be hoping for this to last another year, at which point I think we might see a more permanent societal shift re: attitudes toward remote work.
I can empathize. For me, the commute pre-covid was draining. Even though I had a pretty straight ride to the office and would take advantage of the car service after work, it was odd to go on weeks at a time without taking steps outside during the day. We all just defaulted to eating lunch in the building or at the various restaurants in the same block.

lolwutpar

Bronze

Post by lolwutpar » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:27 am
lolwutpar wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:54 pm
Amicus_Curiae2013 wrote:
I am not concerned about your concerns. There are people here qualified to give their input. They usually don't associate themselves with "dumb," "lmao," "who cares about xyzzy," "ass," "lolwuttpar" etc... Please move on and let the adults contribute. Thank you.
Says the kid who's never practiced a day in his life. Typical arrogant 1L who doesn't know shit LMAO

lolwutpar

Bronze

Post by lolwutpar » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Also, although I get that this is not true of every practice, all of the above costs are basically all loss no gain because the only thing that is materially different about WFH for me is that boomer partners are not up on technology so we can’t just have a well-integrated remote phone system and instead have to rely on the messier approach of calling each other on cell phones.
This is very annoying. Some firms give out home phones (which is a double edged sword in normal times), which would be clutch in this situation. I moved and my cell reception is mediocre, so I get a lot of calls dropping, etc. It's incredibly annoying. Worse is when you're the host on a conference call and the call drops (the terrible system we use requires the host be on - my previous firm wasn't like that), which kicks everyone off the call. And I hate that now everyone and their mother has my cell number. I used to not give it out except to actual friends from work.

Anonymous User wrote:
As someone else said, the baseline assumption seems to be that we’re all dying to come back.
Same here. They even sent a survey around but the issue is the only people who responded are the people who are dying to go back. Doesn't help that some of the more sociopathic partners have gone and rented personal offices elsewhere so they can work in an office. Yet when I talk to actual associates I've not heard a single one express a desire to go back - at most, some would be down to go in at their pleasure.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:02 pm

Does anyone know how firms were re work from home pre-covid in Orange County? Any firms particularly known for being flexible or are they comparable to LA (facetime requirements).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”