Any $90K-100K jobs available in DC area?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Any $90K-100K jobs available in DC area?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:47 pm

I'm a junior associate in biglaw bankruptcy and I hate it. I'm pretty frugal so I could honestly take a significant pay cut. Does anyone know of any jobs out there that pay at least between $90K-100K (particularly in the DC area)? Any ledes would be appreciated.

UnfrozenCaveman

Bronze

Re: Any $90K-100K jobs available in DC area?

Post by UnfrozenCaveman » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:20 pm

usajobs.com

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:26 pm

UnfrozenCaveman wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:20 pm
usajobs.com
Thanks, but don't these all generally require specific work experience?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:35 pm

I'm also curious about the DC job market. I'll be joining a firm and don't really have any plans to do anything other than big law at least for a while, but it would be interesting to hear about exit opportunities in the private sector for transactional attorneys in the area. I know its possible to go into the federal government from a transactional practice, but that route definitely seems to have more options for litigation folks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:15 pm

Government, in-house, the Hill. There are way more government affairs positions than in-house counsel positions in DC, so government or Hill experience can be invaluable.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:32 pm

You're in DC. I would look at government positions. Unlike biglaw, most of these positions are relatively low stress, come with good benefits/job security, and have no billable hour requirements.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:47 pm
I'm a junior associate in biglaw bankruptcy and I hate it. I'm pretty frugal so I could honestly take a significant pay cut. Does anyone know of any jobs out there that pay at least between $90K-100K (particularly in the DC area)? Any ledes would be appreciated.
Bankruptcy is a very niche practice. Do you like the transactional or litigation tasks more? (Or, put another way, which do you dislike less?) It may be that another practice group is a better fit for you. You should be able to switch as a junior, particularly if you're at a more reputable large law firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:25 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Bankruptcy is a very niche practice. Do you like the transactional or litigation tasks more? (Or, put another way, which do you dislike less?) It may be that another practice group is a better fit for you. You should be able to switch as a junior, particularly if you're at a more reputable large law firm.
OP here. I like the litigation aspects more (would like to switch to lit altogether). Is switching something that I would do within my firm or would I be able to lateral as a junior? If the latter, how does one address this in a cover letter and would it be appropriate to agree to a class year reduction up front (which I would be willing to do)?

gamerish

Gold

Post by gamerish » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:42 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:25 am
Anonymous User wrote:
OP here. I like the litigation aspects more (would like to switch to lit altogether). Is switching something that I would do within my firm or would I be able to lateral as a junior? If the latter, how does one address this in a cover letter and would it be appropriate to agree to a class year reduction up front (which I would be willing to do)?
I would try within your firm first. I know numerous juniors that switched practice areas in their first/second years since the firm would often rather accommodate that transition rather than lose a body. If they say no, I'd start looking at other firms ASAP. Enlist the help of a recruiter if you don't have time to do the whole cover letter thing for a bunch a firms (there are plenty of threads on here with recommendations for recruiters if you use the search function). I think explaining that you "enjoyed" the litigation aspects of bankruptcy enough that you want to make lit your full practice is perfectly reasonable explanation. I don't think I'd offer up the class year reduction, especially since you're a junior and have done some lit work it may not be necessary. A recruiter would probably have more insight on that.

Bnonymous

New

Post by Bnonymous » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:09 pm

There are lots of good midsized firms in Northern Virginia (Arlington/Tysons/etc) that might fit the bill.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”