Rejected Pre-OCI & OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
consolidation058

New

Rejected Pre-OCI & OCI

Post by consolidation058 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:26 pm

Is this normal? Does anyone have any insight into this? I'm getting a weird sense like there was something wrong with my application. It just seems odd. Or, of course, I could be wrong, and it could be standard practice to reject people pre-OCI and for OCI. I'm above median at a T7-T13.

jackshunger

Bronze

Re: Rejected Pre-OCI & OCI

Post by jackshunger » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:38 pm

consolidation058 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:26 pm
Is this normal? Does anyone have any insight into this? I'm getting a weird sense like there was something wrong with my application. It just seems odd. Or, of course, I could be wrong, and it could be standard practice to reject people pre-OCI and for OCI. I'm above median at a T7-T13.
They rejected you after a Pre-OCI interview and told you not to apply to them during OCI too?

consolidation058

New

Post by consolidation058 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:50 pm

jackshunger wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:38 pm
consolidation058 wrote:
They rejected you after a Pre-OCI interview and told you not to apply to them during OCI too?
Yeah. They said they won't be pursuing my candidacy any further. It's a V30. The interviews went very well, as far as I was concerned, and I received positive responses from all the interviewers I met with; again, kind of scratching my head here.

LawrenceGazebo

New

Post by LawrenceGazebo » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:03 pm

consolidation058 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:50 pm
jackshunger wrote:
consolidation058 wrote:
Yeah. They said they won't be pursuing my candidacy any further. It's a V30. The interviews went very well, as far as I was concerned, and I received positive responses from all the interviewers I met with; again, kind of scratching my head here.
They must not have gone as well, as far as the firm was concerned.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:05 pm

So usually (I think) when people get rejected from pre-OCI but then apply during OCI, they just didn’t get a bite at all in the pre-OCI phase, for whatever reason. If you actually went through the whole interview process pre-OCI and got rejected it makes perfect sense to me that you wouldn’t get any further at OCI. If someone mass mails and the firm just doesn’t pick them up at that point, but then they bid at OCI and get an interview, that’s different from someone who’s already gone through the full process and been rejected. (Basically, to my understanding, getting rejected after a callback is the end of the process, whether it’s before or during OCI.)

It’s also a super weird year so I wouldn’t try too hard to parse stuff. Who knows what’s going on behind the scenes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LawStudentTransfer14

New

Post by LawStudentTransfer14 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:46 pm

nixy wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:05 pm
So usually (I think) when people get rejected from pre-OCI but then apply during OCI, they just didn’t get a bite at all in the pre-OCI phase, for whatever reason. If you actually went through the whole interview process pre-OCI and got rejected it makes perfect sense to me that you wouldn’t get any further at OCI. If someone mass mails and the firm just doesn’t pick them up at that point, but then they bid at OCI and get an interview, that’s different from someone who’s already gone through the full process and been rejected. (Basically, to my understanding, getting rejected after a callback is the end of the process, whether it’s before or during OCI.)

It’s also a super weird year so I wouldn’t try too hard to parse stuff. Who knows what’s going on behind the scenes.
All of this. My career counselor (T7-T13 as well) said not to bother bidding for a firm at OCI that rejected you pre-OCI. But if you didn't hear back at all then it's fair game to bid. Why would you even want to waste a bid on them if they rejected you? You have a pretty good indicator that it would be prudent to bid elsewhere at OCI.

Silver

Post by 2013 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:25 pm

Am I missing something? OP was rejected after a callback. I’m not sure why it’s odd that OP wouldn’t get selected at OCI.

People get rejected for random reasons. I don’t think it’s a bad sign that they told OP not to reapply. They probably don’t want to waste a lottery pick on someone they don’t want.

consolidation058

New

Post by consolidation058 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:29 pm

LawrenceGazebo wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:03 pm
consolidation058 wrote:
jackshunger wrote:
consolidation058 wrote:
They must not have gone as well, as far as the firm was concerned.
Lol fair. I just got good responses from the people I interviewed, so I didn't think it was crazy to come away with that perception.

consolidation058

New

Post by consolidation058 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:31 pm

nixy wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:05 pm

That's reassuring. So you don't think it's a red flag?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:41 pm

I'm no expert, but I don't think on its own that it's a red flag. No one converts every callback to an offer, often for reasons that have nothing to do with you and that don't determine how other firms will feel about you.

My point is mostly that them not wanting to speak to you at OCI isn't some kind of uber rejection suggesting you're terrible and doomed, just a reflection of the fact that the process is over.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:57 pm

I wouldn't worry about it. Large companies sometimes have formal policies on reapplications, e.g. I think Amazon's policy is that if you're rejected after interviewing, you shouldn't reapply (to any position) for six months.

the lsat failure

New

Post by the lsat failure » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:01 am

This makes sense if you think about it broadly - the pre-OCI process isn't distinguishable enough to spend time with the same person during OCI. This is one of the reasons our career office cautions against pre-OCI if you think a lottery-based screener interview can help you overcome a less-than-stellar resume/transcript. They've already spent adequate time with you and your candidacy to come to a conclusion and would like to open that slot for another applicant during OCI.

Also that sounds like typical form language so even the recruiter might not fully understand the implication.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:30 am

I wouldn't worry about it. Just because you're no longer under consideration at one V30 doesn't mean you're doomed to strike out at OCI. Pre-COVID, I went through Pre-OCI interviews with a couple of V50s, and was explicitly rejected by both before OCI. I then went through OCI, landed multiple V10 offers, and am now an associate at a V5. I still don't know what I did "wrong" (if anything) with those V50s, but it doesn't matter because I landed something way better.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

j2ls100

New

Post by j2ls100 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:03 pm

You could also do a mock interview with your career services to see if there's anything offputting about your interview answers? But yeah not that big of a deal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:20 pm

Look if you've had a Callback, why would you do OCI. The goal of OCI and the screeners is to get a callback. If you've already gotten that pre-oci then of course it would make no sense to re-bid. Why would the firm waste resources to give you another 3 hour interview? Why would you waste your time and do the same after you've already met at minimum 5-6 attorneys from that firm?

No one knows what firms are doing. You could get rejected because they don't need to hire into the practice group you said you preferred. You could get rejected because they already have hired too many people of your race/gender. Don't think too much about what you cannot control. Try to be nice and hope for the best.

jackshunger

Bronze

Post by jackshunger » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:26 pm

consolidation058 wrote:
jackshunger wrote:
consolidation058 wrote:
Alright, I just wanted to clarify, but makes sense. You can do a practice interview with your career office just to make sure you didn't say anything instantly disqualifying, but I wouldn't get too down about it. If you check the Pre-OCI thread, there are a lot of disappointed people there too. Just keep working at it and you'll get a job.

consolidation058

New

Post by consolidation058 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:20 pm
Look if you've had a Callback, why would you do OCI. The goal of OCI and the screeners is to get a callback. If you've already gotten that pre-oci then of course it would make no sense to re-bid. Why would the firm waste resources to give you another 3 hour interview? Why would you waste your time and do the same after you've already met at minimum 5-6 attorneys from that firm?

No one knows what firms are doing. You could get rejected because they don't need to hire into the practice group you said you preferred. You could get rejected because they already have hired too many people of your race/gender. Don't think too much about what you cannot control. Try to be nice and hope for the best.
Yeah that's fair. I likely would have held off on doing this pre-OCI if I had known it works this way, but, alas, is what it is.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

consolidation058

New

Post by consolidation058 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:18 pm

jackshunger wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:26 pm
consolidation058 wrote:
jackshunger wrote:
consolidation058 wrote:
Alright, I just wanted to clarify, but makes sense. You can do a practice interview with your career office just to make sure you didn't say anything instantly disqualifying, but I wouldn't get too down about it. If you check the Pre-OCI thread, there are a lot of disappointed people there too. Just keep working at it and you'll get a job.
This is likely what I will do. Appreciate the encouraging words.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:16 am

consolidation058 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:10 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah that's fair. I likely would have held off on doing this pre-OCI if I had known it works this way, but, alas, is what it is.
FWIW, I doubt this firm would have responded differently if you did the callback after OCI rather than before. I suppose you might have really strengthened your interviewing skills over time, but there's always going to be a first interview and some of the factors that influence whether they hire you aren't going to change from now to the end of OCI.

bigbeau

New

Post by bigbeau » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:45 pm

consolidation058 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:10 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

I feel like you're not fully comprehending what happened. The firm just decided you weren't a fit. They wouldn't have thought differently after OCI. It could've been your answers, your race, your gender, your attitude, your preferred practice area, or anything else you can think of. You didn't screw yourself out of an opportunity by not waiting. This firm just didn't want you, for whatever reason.

For those reasons, why would they interview you again? To get to the same result? You didn't get rejected because of your grades, they already decided you were smart enough, which is why you get a callback.

It would actually make less sense to allow you to bid again than to not allow you to bid again. This isn't 1L where they could likely say "yeah we didn't like you enough for 1L Summer, but you're right there for 2L Summer".

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:59 pm

OP you did a callback and got dinged. That's it, not a big deal. And no reason to read into the "don't reapply in two months" thing - also very normal. You'd be essentially the same candidate, so it'd be a waste of both your time for you to go through the whole process again. THat's all they were telling you

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”