SF Office for Littler, Ogletree Deakins, Jackson Lewis, Fisher & Phillips, and Seyfarth Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

SF Office for Littler, Ogletree Deakins, Jackson Lewis, Fisher & Phillips, and Seyfarth

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:58 am

Hey folks! Can I pull on your collective wisdom for thoughts and input on the above firms (naturally focusing on L&E) in anything you can share? I'd be particularly interested in their San Francisco office and on issues like compensation (specific dollar amounts would be superbly helpful), hours, non-billable hours expectations (e.g., marketing, biz dev, etc.), culture, job security, how work is assigned, how laterals are integrated, etc.

Thank y'all!

Anonymous User

Re: SF Office for Littler, Ogletree Deakins, Jackson Lewis, Fisher & Phillips, and Seyfarth

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:31 am

Don't know the salary structure for Ogletree in SF, but do know that the firm as a whole does not match up to the biglaw market scale (which is not surprising given that it's an L&E boutique).

Hours minimum is 1900. There is now a $10k bonus when you hit 1900.

Bonuses kick in at 2000 and are a percentage of base salary:

2000 - 5%
2050 - 10%
2100 - 15%
2150 - 20%
2200 - 25%
Above 2200 has a discretionary component.

I'm not aware of a nonbillable requirement or expectation, other than to be willing to participate when asked.

The firm cut pay back in May, but reversed those cuts a few weeks ago. It also is giving a $10k bonus to associates who bill 1700+ in 2020, with that bonus being paid this year. I'm not aware of any layoffs (though there have been some staff departures), so I'd say job security is pretty solid currently. (I would imagine this applies to most of the L&E boutiques, as worked picked up a good bit when everyone was doing furloughs, layoffs, etc.)

Anonymous User

Re: SF Office for Littler, Ogletree Deakins, Jackson Lewis, Fisher & Phillips, and Seyfarth

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:31 am
Don't know the salary structure for Ogletree in SF, but do know that the firm as a whole does not match up to the biglaw market scale (which is not surprising given that it's an L&E boutique).

Hours minimum is 1900. There is now a $10k bonus when you hit 1900.

Bonuses kick in at 2000 and are a percentage of base salary:

2000 - 5%
2050 - 10%
2100 - 15%
2150 - 20%
2200 - 25%
Above 2200 has a discretionary component.

I'm not aware of a nonbillable requirement or expectation, other than to be willing to participate when asked.

The firm cut pay back in May, but reversed those cuts a few weeks ago. It also is giving a $10k bonus to associates who bill 1700+ in 2020, with that bonus being paid this year. I'm not aware of any layoffs (though there have been some staff departures), so I'd say job security is pretty solid currently. (I would imagine this applies to most of the L&E boutiques, as worked picked up a good bit when everyone was doing furloughs, layoffs, etc.)
This is super helpful, thank you! How is work assigned? Do people work for one partner closely? Or do you have to find work? Or is it a coordinator that doles out tasks to people? What is the work from home situation generally and currently? Any pressure to return to the offices or travel for work? Would there be any negatives or "less than ideal" situations you would be willing to share with me?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:07 am

Also, for billables, is it what you bill? Or is it subject to things like collection rate, significant cuts by partners? How do you feel about the type of work? Is it more advice and counsel? Single plaintiff? Class action wage and hour?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”