Playing Video Games

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 353617
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Playing Video Games

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:47 pm

Hey, so I work at a V10 law firm in NYC and I have already reached 2000 hours for the year. I am just wondering, the new PS5 came out and I got one (through someone I know). I haven't played video games in a while (years), but I kind of want to play this really badly. Are there any people in Biglaw who manage to still play video games? Is it normal? Am I being childish? Should I be worried about it taking time away from work?

I haven't opened the PS5 yet and I'm wondering if I should or if I should just sell it for more $$ than I paid. Input appreciated (especially from gamers).

hdr

New
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue May 19, 2020 12:25 pm

Re: Playing Video Games

Post by hdr » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:13 pm

I would strongly advise against playing any video games. A few years ago, one of the partners I work for found my WoW profile (I was active in a well-known raiding guild) and I was reprimanded by the executive committee for wasting so much time when I could have been doing more work.

RaceJudicata

Gold
Posts: 1842
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:51 pm

Re: Playing Video Games

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:18 pm

OP is this a genuine question? You want to play video games? Play as many video games as you want. No different than exercise, reading books, board games, or whatever other hobbies people have. It’s ok to work in biglaw and have a life.

Frutsie

New
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:24 pm

Re: Playing Video Games

Post by Frutsie » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:18 pm

hdr wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:13 pm
I would strongly advise against playing any video games. A few years ago, one of the partners I work for found my WoW profile (I was active in a well-known raiding guild) and I was reprimanded by the executive committee for wasting so much time when I could have been doing more work.
Are you joking? This can't be real.

Anonymous User
Posts: 353617
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Playing Video Games

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:47 pm
Hey, so I work at a V10 law firm in NYC and I have already reached 2000 hours for the year. I am just wondering, the new PS5 came out and I got one (through someone I know). I haven't played video games in a while (years), but I kind of want to play this really badly. Are there any people in Biglaw who manage to still play video games? Is it normal? Am I being childish? Should I be worried about it taking time away from work?

I haven't opened the PS5 yet and I'm wondering if I should or if I should just sell it for more $$ than I paid. Input appreciated (especially from gamers).
It's a problem only if it affects your work performance. That is, you don't do a good a job as you could because you spent 100 hours on the latest title and your work product also is late and defective.

This is my case now, and I'm telling myself I'll re-focus as soon as I finish this game, but I clearly look terrible and I have personal issues.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


rshackleford123

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:54 pm

Re: Playing Video Games

Post by rshackleford123 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:28 pm

I'm in my 40th+ season as a head coach in my NCAA 14 dynasty. I've taken traditional powerhouse schools like Idaho and Rice to multiple national championships.

As far as I know, I'm still on track for partner. You'll be fine.

User avatar
glitched

Silver
Posts: 1123
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am

Re: Playing Video Games

Post by glitched » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:31 pm

Add me on PSN. Here's my personal take - unless you have a lots of self-control, if you play online competitive games (including 2K, madden), maybe you should skip it. Those games are ultra-addicting and can actually impact your work. I've had periods of time either during school and while at a firm where it did hurt me, and I regret some of that time. Single player is different/better since it's easier to pick up and put down.

In the end though, if you have self-control, go for it. Nothing wrong with gaming itself. Gaming addiction is a real problem though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 353617
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Playing Video Games

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:21 pm

hdr wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:13 pm
I would strongly advise against playing any video games. A few years ago, one of the partners I work for found my WoW profile (I was active in a well-known raiding guild) and I was reprimanded by the executive committee for wasting so much time when I could have been doing more work.
As a fellow WoW player, are you serious?

hdr

New
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue May 19, 2020 12:25 pm

Re: Playing Video Games

Post by hdr » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:21 pm
hdr wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:13 pm
I would strongly advise against playing any video games. A few years ago, one of the partners I work for found my WoW profile (I was active in a well-known raiding guild) and I was reprimanded by the executive committee for wasting so much time when I could have been doing more work.
As a fellow WoW player, are you serious?
Yes, this was in 2014 or so. After meeting with the exec committee, one of the partners pulled me aside and suggested I reroll to BM hunter so I could maintain my DPS while leaving one hand free for clicking and typing on my work laptop.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


johndhi

Bronze
Posts: 381
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:25 am

Re: Playing Video Games

Post by johndhi » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:11 pm

the WoW guy's second post made me literally lol and I can't stop

kaiser

Gold
Posts: 2982
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: Playing Video Games

Post by kaiser » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:14 pm

Yeah, of course its fine, so long as it doesn't interfere with your work. Its no different than any other hobby.

Anonymous User
Posts: 353617
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Playing Video Games

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:17 pm

I grinded like 200 hours in 2 weeks on Rust when coronavirus first hit.

Anonymous User
Posts: 353617
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Playing Video Games

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:26 pm

If it's something you enjoy, make time for it. To be fair, the extent of my gaming is playing Animal Crossing and Breath of the Wild on my Switch, but a lot of people at my firm (V10) play video games to blow off steam. But you obviously can't let it affect your work.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 353617
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Playing Video Games

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:51 pm

I’m a BigLaw associate and building a PC as we speak.

Anonymous User
Posts: 353617
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Playing Video Games

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:25 pm

Just bought the Tony hawk pro skater remake for ps4. In big law. Perfect for a few minutes of playtime.

Joachim2017

New
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:17 pm

Re: Playing Video Games

Post by Joachim2017 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:23 pm

hdr wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:56 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:21 pm
hdr wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:13 pm
I would strongly advise against playing any video games. A few years ago, one of the partners I work for found my WoW profile (I was active in a well-known raiding guild) and I was reprimanded by the executive committee for wasting so much time when I could have been doing more work.
As a fellow WoW player, are you serious?
Yes, this was in 2014 or so. After meeting with the exec committee, one of the partners pulled me aside and suggested I reroll to BM hunter so I could maintain my DPS while leaving one hand free for clicking and typing on my work laptop.

This is great. As a former WoW player intrigued by the expansion, I am thinking about whether to get back into the game. Would be great if there was a group of Big Law lawyers who understood the demands on your time but also wanted to play at a high level, when it's possible due to deal flow, etc.

Anonymous User
Posts: 353617
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Playing Video Games

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:05 pm

it's normal and you shouldn't worry about it taking time away from work more than anything else you manage in your free time, obviously you know if you have a video game addiction

tbh the most regrettable thing is just the backlog of games I've built up

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


Reese1

New
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:09 pm

Re: Playing Video Games

Post by Reese1 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:03 pm

Joachim2017 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:23 pm
hdr wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:56 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:21 pm
hdr wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:13 pm
I would strongly advise against playing any video games. A few years ago, one of the partners I work for found my WoW profile (I was active in a well-known raiding guild) and I was reprimanded by the executive committee for wasting so much time when I could have been doing more work.
As a fellow WoW player, are you serious?
Yes, this was in 2014 or so. After meeting with the exec committee, one of the partners pulled me aside and suggested I reroll to BM hunter so I could maintain my DPS while leaving one hand free for clicking and typing on my work laptop.

This is great. As a former WoW player intrigued by the expansion, I am thinking about whether to get back into the game. Would be great if there was a group of Big Law lawyers who understood the demands on your time but also wanted to play at a high level, when it's possible due to deal flow, etc.
Honestly, this makes me wanna try out the new expansion. Although I can't imagine I would have time for raiding. If you can manage high level raiding and Biglaw, kudos to you lol.

Joachim2017

New
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:17 pm

Re: Playing Video Games

Post by Joachim2017 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:58 pm

Reese1 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:03 pm
Joachim2017 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:23 pm
hdr wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:56 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:21 pm
hdr wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:13 pm
I would strongly advise against playing any video games. A few years ago, one of the partners I work for found my WoW profile (I was active in a well-known raiding guild) and I was reprimanded by the executive committee for wasting so much time when I could have been doing more work.
As a fellow WoW player, are you serious?
Yes, this was in 2014 or so. After meeting with the exec committee, one of the partners pulled me aside and suggested I reroll to BM hunter so I could maintain my DPS while leaving one hand free for clicking and typing on my work laptop.

This is great. As a former WoW player intrigued by the expansion, I am thinking about whether to get back into the game. Would be great if there was a group of Big Law lawyers who understood the demands on your time but also wanted to play at a high level, when it's possible due to deal flow, etc.
Honestly, this makes me wanna try out the new expansion. Although I can't imagine I would have time for raiding. If you can manage high level raiding and Biglaw, kudos to you lol.

The only reason I think it's possible is the stay-home requirements of Covid-19 over the winter, plus slowdowns in work because of it (e.g., courts closing again). Under normal circumstances, I agree it's not really possible unless you find an end-game guild that has hours somehow consistent with your work/life balance and you have a VERY understanding spouse/SO.

mwells_56

New
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:18 am

Re: Playing Video Games

Post by mwells_56 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:10 pm

Why even get a BigLaw job if you can't spend your excess funds on dual 3090s that you bought from scalpers on ebay or facebook marketplace for 2.5x retail price?

notinbiglaw

Bronze
Posts: 238
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:05 am

Re: Playing Video Games

Post by notinbiglaw » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:04 pm

I just don’t know how you could raid Wow competitively and still be available 24/7 for biglaw work.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!


lavarman84

Platinum
Posts: 8111
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Playing Video Games

Post by lavarman84 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:21 am

rshackleford123 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:28 pm
I'm in my 40th+ season as a head coach in my NCAA 14 dynasty. I've taken traditional powerhouse schools like Idaho and Rice to multiple national championships.

As far as I know, I'm still on track for partner. You'll be fine.
They really need to make a new one. Just give the players their cut, damn it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 353617
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Playing Video Games

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:38 am

notinbiglaw wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:04 pm
I just don’t know how you could raid Wow competitively and still be available 24/7 for biglaw work.

At least at my NYC Big Law firm, the evening hours are somewhat unpredictable but not so unpredictable that you'd need to jump off a raid scheduled later at night. Maybe you'd have partners calling, but it's not hard to multi-task when that happens unless you're literally the lead tank/healer. And if there are nights you know you're working very late in advance, most guilds don't require 100% or even 90% attendance.

The nice thing at most NYC firms is you don't have to be up and at work early in the morning. So you can find a guild whose endgame push-content schedule lines up with your late night, but that does not seem too difficult.

Anonymous User
Posts: 353617
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Playing Video Games

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:49 pm

Joachim2017 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:58 pm
Reese1 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:03 pm
Joachim2017 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:23 pm
hdr wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:56 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:21 pm
hdr wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:13 pm
I would strongly advise against playing any video games. A few years ago, one of the partners I work for found my WoW profile (I was active in a well-known raiding guild) and I was reprimanded by the executive committee for wasting so much time when I could have been doing more work.
As a fellow WoW player, are you serious?
Yes, this was in 2014 or so. After meeting with the exec committee, one of the partners pulled me aside and suggested I reroll to BM hunter so I could maintain my DPS while leaving one hand free for clicking and typing on my work laptop.

This is great. As a former WoW player intrigued by the expansion, I am thinking about whether to get back into the game. Would be great if there was a group of Big Law lawyers who understood the demands on your time but also wanted to play at a high level, when it's possible due to deal flow, etc.
Honestly, this makes me wanna try out the new expansion. Although I can't imagine I would have time for raiding. If you can manage high level raiding and Biglaw, kudos to you lol.

The only reason I think it's possible is the stay-home requirements of Covid-19 over the winter, plus slowdowns in work because of it (e.g., courts closing again). Under normal circumstances, I agree it's not really possible unless you find an end-game guild that has hours somehow consistent with your work/life balance and you have a VERY understanding spouse/SO.
Joakim Noah I'm down to play with you. Got CE all of BFA in a 6 hour a week guild.

TheoO

Silver
Posts: 688
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:28 am

Re: Playing Video Games

Post by TheoO » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:38 pm

Three Kingdoms Total War has kept me from going insane while in biglaw. I also used my firm's tech stipend to assist in the purchase of a gaming machine (which I can also use for remote work of course).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!


Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”