2020 End of Year Bonuses

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Usernameavailable

New

2020 End of Year Bonuses

Post by Usernameavailable » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:41 am

According to ATL, Milbank announced 2019 bonuses on November 7. Anyone have any news about potential bonus announcements coming soon?

4LTsPointingNorth

Bronze

Re: 2020 End of Year Bonuses

Post by 4LTsPointingNorth » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:03 pm

My guess is that the first announcement comes either just before or just after Thanksgiving. Firms are probably not going to match last year's early November timing given the election and the close proximity of the payment of fall bonuses.

A related question is whether the Kirklands and Cravaths of the world will announce first to try to set market for the "all-in" scale, or whether Milbank/DPW will announce first to firmly establish themselves as bonus leaders and first-movers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:59 am

Solo Practitioner here.............bonuses, yeah I know what mine is going to be........ 🥚

rokiv

New

Post by rokiv » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:30 pm

Come on people, let’s hear some speculation!

RandomInternetPerson

New

Post by RandomInternetPerson » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:10 pm

rokiv wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:30 pm
Come on people, let’s hear some speculation!
http://nerdist.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... y-burn.gif

mere speculation of course

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:22 pm

Rampant Speculation: We will see a bonus announcement this Friday afternoon by a T20, non-fall-bonus firm, at a (DPW fall bonus)+(2019 year-end scale)

NoLongerALurker

Bronze

Post by NoLongerALurker » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:29 am

Baker: https://abovethelaw.com/2020/11/breakin ... t-cravath/

(Standard scale, no COVID bonus adjustment)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:50 am

NoLongerALurker wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:29 am
Baker: https://abovethelaw.com/2020/11/breakin ... t-cravath/

(Standard scale, no COVID bonus adjustment)
Disappointing - Cravath/Kirkland reclaim your top dog status and shatter the market!

EliteFlyer

New

Post by EliteFlyer » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:03 pm

The ATL "bonus memo" from Baker McKenzie looked more like a press release than an actual memo sent to associates at the firm. Would otherwise be odd to include that quote at the end from North America Chief Executive Officer, Colin Murray.

I wonder if this is BM's attempt at preempting a move by the market to include the DPW fall bonus in the end of year total. There was no mention of when the bonuses will actually be paid out or hours requirements, so really no skin off their backs to assume (probably correctly) that market bonuses this year will be no lower than last year's bonus scale.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ChairmanKaga

New

Post by ChairmanKaga » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:10 pm

EliteFlyer wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:03 pm
I wonder if this is BM's attempt at preempting a move by the market to include the DPW fall bonus in the end of year total.
Isn't this obviously the reason?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:15 pm

ChairmanKaga wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:10 pm
EliteFlyer wrote:
I wonder if this is BM's attempt at preempting a move by the market to include the DPW fall bonus in the end of year total.
Exactly, it’s very transparent what they’re doing. But, I doubt it will work. Firms like Kirkland and Cravath that didn’t do COVID bonuses would get fleeced given that so many of their peers would be compensating their associates significantly higher.

NoLongerALurker

Bronze

Post by NoLongerALurker » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:57 pm

I'm just happy BONEUS szn is here, at this point.

12YrsAnAssociate

New

Post by 12YrsAnAssociate » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:15 pm
ChairmanKaga wrote:
EliteFlyer wrote:
Exactly, it’s very transparent what they’re doing. But, I doubt it will work. Firms like Kirkland and Cravath that didn’t do COVID bonuses would get fleeced given that so many of their peers would be compensating their associates significantly higher.
It sucks for me, though, because I work at a firm that's happy to find a reason not to pay anything it can label "above market." They will 100% say that the DPW scale firms are "just some muckety muck Wall Street firms, and their bonuses have nothing to do with what we do here!"

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:22 pm

12YrsAnAssociate wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:19 pm
It sucks for me, though, because I work at a firm that's happy to find a reason not to pay anything it can label "above market." They will 100% say that the DPW scale firms are "just some muckety muck Wall Street firms, and their bonuses have nothing to do with what we do here!"
If you can't pay what the muckety muck Wall Street firms pay, you don't pay "market."

That said, I will allow firms to say they pay "market" if they specify further. For example, you may pay "market" for shitty TTT firms, or "market" if it were 2002, or "market" for guys who restock the milk at 7-Eleven. Might as well declare where you stand, because we'll do it for them anyway. Here's one example from 2016 (did Kelley Drye ever wind up rubbing two pennies together for its associate? Genuinely don't know):
With [Monday’s] announcement some big law firms demonstrate that they do not listen to what their clients have been saying over the past decade about the price of legal services,” said Kelley Drye & Warren chair James Carr, who assumed leadership of his firm last year. “While we continue to monitor the compensation market, in our view, sophisticated purchasers realize that they can obtain equal or better legal services at Kelley Drye for a fraction of the cost.”

"We are a complete decrepit TTT crackhouse," said Kelley Drye & Warren "chair" James Carr, who assumed "leadership" of his "firm" and role as this millenium's Romulus Augustulus last year. "“While we continue to monitor the compensation market, in our view, you're better off checking the temperature of the roasted turkey at Sylvia Plath's house than coming to this homeless bridge ghetto barrel fire we slapped an LLP on."

lawlo

New

Post by lawlo » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:51 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:22 pm
12YrsAnAssociate wrote:
If you can't pay what the muckety muck Wall Street firms pay, you don't pay "market."

That said, I will allow firms to say they pay "market" if they specify further. For example, you may pay "market" for shitty TTT firms, or "market" if it were 2002, or "market" for guys who restock the milk at 7-Eleven. Might as well declare where you stand, because we'll do it for them anyway. Here's one example from 2016 (did Kelley Drye ever wind up rubbing two pennies together for its associate? Genuinely don't know):
With [Monday’s] announcement some big law firms demonstrate that they do not listen to what their clients have been saying over the past decade about the price of legal services,” said Kelley Drye & Warren chair James Carr, who assumed leadership of his firm last year. “While we continue to monitor the compensation market, in our view, sophisticated purchasers realize that they can obtain equal or better legal services at Kelley Drye for a fraction of the cost.”

"We are a complete decrepit TTT crackhouse," said Kelley Drye & Warren "chair" James Carr, who assumed "leadership" of his "firm" and role as this millenium's Romulus Augustulus last year. "“While we continue to monitor the compensation market, in our view, you're better off checking the temperature of the roasted turkey at Sylvia Plath's house than coming to this homeless bridge ghetto barrel fire we slapped an LLP on."
:lol:

legalpotato

New

Post by legalpotato » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:18 am

ChairmanKaga wrote:
EliteFlyer wrote:
I wonder if it is to just get ahead of bad press since they are not truing up for fall bonuses. If they announce first, then the message is "bonuses are here! same as 2019 scale but no fall bonus". If they announce after a K&E announces bonuses that include fall bonus true up, then message is "Baker stiffs associates on bonus."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:41 pm

Because K&E does the "shatter the market" thing, I think more likely than not it will never announce a formal bonus scale, just that it beat market. It's possible K&E clarifies that "market" includes fall bonuses, but that would come at the bonus meeting in December, not in an e-mail or anything formal, and based on prior years it wouldn't come with an explanation of what each class year gets. (KE associate posting anon bc possibly identifiable with other posts).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

12YrsAnAssociate

New

Post by 12YrsAnAssociate » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:18 pm

From your lips to God's ears. Hopefully my firm's management subscribes to your newsletter.

parkslope

Bronze

Post by parkslope » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:19 pm

lawlo wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:51 pm
12YrsAnAssociate wrote:

Profits per equity partner is $940K at Kelley Drye.

cfcm

Silver

Post by cfcm » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:26 pm

What’s going on with the font here?

https://www.kelleydrye.com/Our-People/James-S-Carr

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:58 pm

parkslope wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:19 pm
lawlo wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:51 pm
12YrsAnAssociate wrote:

Profits per equity partner is $940K at Kelley Drye.
To be clear--that's just an example that I used because I like laughing at my own jokes. I only dunked on Kelley Drye four years ago for running their mouth in the middle of raises. I am not suggesting they did anything wrong in 2020 (that I know of) or that this Magikarp of the legal profession should pay what DPW does. But it DOES sort of speak to my ongoing question about why Cravath associates aren't embarrassed to make less than counterparts at Fried Frank or otherwise feel like they deserve more than you can get with median at GULC...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Definitely Not North

Bronze

Post by Definitely Not North » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:03 pm

Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:58 pm
Magikarp of the legal profession
looool

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:11 pm

legalpotato wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:18 am
ChairmanKaga wrote:
EliteFlyer wrote:
I wonder if it is to just get ahead of bad press since they are not truing up for fall bonuses. If they announce first, then the message is "bonuses are here! same as 2019 scale but no fall bonus". If they announce after a K&E announces bonuses that include fall bonus true up, then message is "Baker stiffs associates on bonus."
As a Baker associate, I’m glad that ATL called them out on also not truing up salaries and instead saying there’s a vague additional bonus for high performers. This is an attempt to claim we’re paying market, but internally it’s being viewed as a commitment to below-market pay for the year. Not surprised, but certainly disappointed.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:17 pm

cfcm wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:26 pm
What’s going on with the font here?

https://www.kelleydrye.com/Our-People/James-S-Carr
Oh, to be a fly on the wall where some overpaid consultant douchebag suggested putting first-person quotes on profile pages styled like a teen girl writing in her diary in an '80s movie.

It looks like only partners have them, which is a shame. I'd love to see one from a first-year.

"I've been in the firm's M&A group for eight months, but I'm not fully clear on what it is we do. I'm told there's something called a stock purchase agreement but I don't really know how it works because I only do 1700 hours of diligence and sig pages. I want to learn, but it's usually hard to get a moment from the other members of my deal team, Clearly Checked-Out Midlevel, Always-Simultaneously-Frantic-And-Exhausted Senior, and Partner Who Sometimes Throws Staplers. Sometimes when I'm eating soggy pad thai at 9:30 waiting for comments to come in, I wonder if it's actually Kappa Sig's fault I tanked Organic Chemistry or if pre-med just wasn't in the cards anyway."

Definitely Not North

Bronze

Post by Definitely Not North » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:41 pm

you're killing me dude loooool

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”