Would you take this in-house offer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Would you take this offer?

Yes
94%
No
6%

Total votes: 66

Anonymous User

Would you take this in-house offer?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:53 am

Thanks in advance for any input. I'm a midlevel in a very hot niche practice area and just recently started looking for in house opportunities. Surprisingly, I'm fortunate to have gotten a lot of traction right off the bat (applied to about 6 practice area-specific jobs, got interviews at 5 of them, got to the second round in 4 of them and so far have offers at 3 of them).

Of the offers I've received, they were all pretty close in terms of base salary and bonuses, so I've narrowed it down to one that I'd realistically take given the fit, location and and room for career advancement (the company is opening up a new business segment and expanding like crazy, and I'd be a senior level counsel getting in early). Offer details are below (I'm in the process of negotiating now so these will likely change a bit) -- I'm wondering if others would take it or if I'd be wise to hold out and apply to some additional places given that this area seems to be really hot right now. FWIW I'm in a high cost of living area (i.e., San Francisco / Boston / Los Angeles).

• Base Salary: $220k
  • Annual Bonus: 20% target, tied to company performance. I'm told the company has never failed to pay full bonuses in the past 10 years.
  • Start date January 2021, so I will be able to collect my year-end big law bonus.
  • The office is about an hour away so the offer includes 50% remote work post-COVID. I would go into the office 2 or 3 days per week (alternating each week), working from home the remainder of the time.
  • Benefits are pretty good. Full insurance premiums paid for myself and family, 4% 401k match, lots of PTO, cell phone reimbursement, gym reimbursement and a bunch of other fringe benefits.
Thanks again!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

omar.comin

New

Re: Would you take this in-house offer?

Post by omar.comin » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:56 pm

This sounds like a solid offer but I think equity grant and hours expectation are both important considerations too. Assuming equity is in line with market and it’s standard business hours, this sounds like a pretty great offer and comparable with standard comp packages from top companies.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:12 pm

omar.comin wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:56 pm
This sounds like a solid offer but I think equity grant and hours expectation are both important considerations too. Assuming equity is in line with market and it’s standard business hours, this sounds like a pretty great offer and comparable with standard comp packages from top companies.
OP here. Thanks, the lack of equity is the one component giving me pause. The position is with a subsidiary of a Fortune Global 100 company, but since the subsidiary is privately held by the parent, there is no equity component. I'm told annual raises are common, particularly given the anticipated growth in this business segment (the legal department is expected to grow by 300% over the next 24 months), and this position is a senior level position so salary would rise as the department grows.

I've been assured by several lawyers on the team (all of whom are former big law associates) that hours are way better. They were keen to highlight the fact that outside counsel is the one that gets buried on long nights and weekends, but the in house team keeps pretty normal business hours (subject to occasional busier times near closings).

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:53 am
Thanks in advance for any input. I'm a midlevel in a very hot niche practice area and just recently started looking for in house opportunities. Surprisingly, I'm fortunate to have gotten a lot of traction right off the bat (applied to about 6 practice area-specific jobs, got interviews at 5 of them, got to the second round in 4 of them and so far have offers at 3 of them).

Of the offers I've received, they were all pretty close in terms of base salary and bonuses, so I've narrowed it down to one that I'd realistically take given the fit, location and and room for career advancement (the company is opening up a new business segment and expanding like crazy, and I'd be a senior level counsel getting in early). Offer details are below (I'm in the process of negotiating now so these will likely change a bit) -- I'm wondering if others would take it or if I'd be wise to hold out and apply to some additional places given that this area seems to be really hot right now. FWIW I'm in a high cost of living area (i.e., San Francisco / Boston / Los Angeles).

• Annual Bonus: 20% target, tied to company performance. I'm told the company has never failed to pay full bonuses in the past 10 years.
  • Start date January 2021, so I will be able to collect my year-end big law bonus.
  • The office is about an hour away so the offer includes 50% remote work post-COVID. I would go into the office 2 or 3 days per week (alternating each week), working from home the remainder of the time.
  • Benefits are pretty good. Full insurance premiums paid for myself and family, 4% 401k match, lots of PTO, cell phone reimbursement, gym reimbursement and a bunch of other fringe benefits.
Thanks again!
This sounds like a great offer. I would honestly jump on it. OP, if you feel comfortable, can you please PM? I'd be interested to know how you got so many interviews, what companies you applied to, and what your thoughts were on the interview process.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:59 pm

estefanchanning wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:42 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks again!
This sounds like a great offer. I would honestly jump on it. OP, if you feel comfortable, can you please PM? I'd be interested to know how you got so many interviews, what companies you applied to, and what your thoughts were on the interview process.
OP here -- PM'd you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TigerIsBack

New

Post by TigerIsBack » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:59 pm
estefanchanning wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks again!
OP here -- PM'd you.
OP - I would also appreciate if you would PM me, as I'm currently trying to start this process.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:31 pm

TigerIsBack wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:47 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:59 pm
estefanchanning wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks again!
OP here -- PM'd you.
OP - I would also appreciate if you would PM me, as I'm currently trying to start this process.
PM'd.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks again!
Would you be okay sharing whether your nice practice area is corporate or lit (if neither, which one is it closer to)? I'm also considering an eventual move in-house. Are these interviews with clients you've worked with, or are they cold applications? How did you find out about these openings? And do you think your firm name/prestige carried any weight, or was it more your experience?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:23 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks again!
Would you be okay sharing whether your nice practice area is corporate or lit (if neither, which one is it closer to)? I'm also considering an eventual move in-house. Are these interviews with clients you've worked with, or are they cold applications? How did you find out about these openings? And do you think your firm name/prestige carried any weight, or was it more your experience?
My practice area is on the corporate side. My interviews were all with non-clients, but some were with companies that I've worked across from on various transactions. All but one were cold applications; the offer I eventually accepted came about from an unsolicited message from the GC of the company on LinkedIn (I suspect they were reaching out to associates at the top firms in this practice area in the same geographic location). I found almost every job I applied to on LinkedIn. All of the jobs are on several job boards (Indeed, GoinHouse, etc.), but it's a lot easier to apply on LinkedIn so I mainly used that.

Yes, I do think my firm's prestige (at least in the practice area) helped. The firm's prestige in this practice area directly correlated to me having a lot of valuable experience in this field which really helped the optics of my resume and deal sheet.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:12 pm
omar.comin wrote:
OP here. Thanks, the lack of equity is the one component giving me pause. The position is with a subsidiary of a Fortune Global 100 company, but since the subsidiary is privately held by the parent, there is no equity component. I'm told annual raises are common, particularly given the anticipated growth in this business segment (the legal department is expected to grow by 300% over the next 24 months), and this position is a senior level position so salary would rise as the department grows.

I've been assured by several lawyers on the team (all of whom are former big law associates) that hours are way better. They were keen to highlight the fact that outside counsel is the one that gets buried on long nights and weekends, but the in house team keeps pretty normal business hours (subject to occasional busier times near closings).
With no equity, this sounds like a fine offer—pretty in line with what I took to go in house at a similar class year, except mine was weighted more to equity—but also not “can’t miss.” It depends how you feel about both your current job and the offer, but I would probably take it because BigLaw is bad.

That said, I’m sure hours will be better, but a senior lawyer in a fast growing area may well work more than you’re expecting. Hard to gauge at the outset.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:02 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:38 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
omar.comin wrote:

With no equity, this sounds like a fine offer—pretty in line with what I took to go in house at a similar class year, except mine was weighted more to equity—but also not “can’t miss.” It depends how you feel about both your current job and the offer, but I would probably take it because BigLaw is bad.

That said, I’m sure hours will be better, but a senior lawyer in a fast growing area may well work more than you’re expecting. Hard to gauge at the outset.
Thanks for the feedback. FWIW, the job offer explicitly states that working hours are M-F 9-5 and other attorneys at the company have assured it's far better than big law, so I'm not super concerned with the hours. I don't expect to coast by, but it certainly can't be worse than my big law hours. Also, the upside for being a senior attorney coming in now seems worth tradeoff, as I've been told there will be significant opportunity for promotions in the near term.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:02 pm
Elston Gunn wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:38 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
omar.comin wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. FWIW, the job offer explicitly states that working hours are M-F 9-5 and other attorneys at the company have assured it's far better than big law, so I'm not super concerned with the hours. I don't expect to coast by, but it certainly can't be worse than my big law hours. Also, the upside for being a senior attorney coming in now seems worth tradeoff, as I've been told there will be significant opportunity for promotions in the near term.
Sounds good and congrats!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”