NJ Firms Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NJ Firms

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:05 pm

Mid-level in NY looking to lateral, have ties to Jersey. Anyone know anything about the reputation/lifestyle/salary/partnership prospects of the NJ AmLaw 200 firms (Lowenstein, McCarter, McElroy, Cole Schotz, Gibbons) or any peer firms? Would greatly appreciate any intel.

Anonymous User

Re: NJ Firms

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:23 pm

Bumping this just the once in case someone w/info missed it (if no one responds, I'll take the hint)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:15 am

Lowenstein is more like NY firms in terms of salary, hours, and partnership chance.

For the others, you have a real chance of p’ship at NJ firms and in general you will get to go home earlier. McCarter is a bit weird towards associates; less considerate and they seem to see people as interchangeable. Gibbons does actual criminal lit in addition to top notch civil stuff and has great people. That’s litigation, anyway - no idea re corporate.

Salary is notably less than NY. You start at 155k as a first year and increase by 5k a year. Newly minted partners prob make About what a 3rd year NYC assoc makes. Lowenstein pays NY market but again it’s more like a NY firm.

I’d say of the NJ firms excluding lowenstein, gibbons and McCarter are the top dogs. McCarter is super connected to industry and always represents the industry group amici before the NJ Supreme Court.

I switched and have never looked back. In law school people said they’d take 80% less work for 80% less pay. That’s NJ.

tbp140

New

Post by tbp140 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:31 am

What firms would you recommend for transactional work (specifically M&A)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:47 pm

tbp140 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:31 am
What firms would you recommend for transactional work (specifically M&A)?
Can’t knowledgeably speak to transactional I’m afraid, but Lowenstein is probably your best best

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:15 am
Lowenstein is more like NY firms in terms of salary, hours, and partnership chance.

For the others, you have a real chance of p’ship at NJ firms and in general you will get to go home earlier. McCarter is a bit weird towards associates; less considerate and they seem to see people as interchangeable. Gibbons does actual criminal lit in addition to top notch civil stuff and has great people. That’s litigation, anyway - no idea re corporate.

Salary is notably less than NY. You start at 155k as a first year and increase by 5k a year. Newly minted partners prob make About what a 3rd year NYC assoc makes. Lowenstein pays NY market but again it’s more like a NY firm.

I’d say of the NJ firms excluding lowenstein, gibbons and McCarter are the top dogs. McCarter is super connected to industry and always represents the industry group amici before the NJ Supreme Court.

I switched and have never looked back. In law school people said they’d take 80% less work for 80% less pay. That’s NJ.
Thank you! Much appreciated.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”