Giving Notice at Firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Giving Notice at Firm

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:42 pm

I lined up at in-house job, but will not leave my current firm for another 3-4 weeks.

There's one counsel I do a lot of work for that I'd like to tell earlier than when I give my two weeks' notice, because we're close, she'll need more time to work out the transition of work from me to others (given the volume), and there's even a chance she could help with my significant other's transition to the new city and help them find a job.

I trust this counsel's discretion generally, but is there any reason this would be a bad idea? Telling a non-partner's not equivalent to giving notice, right - and is there any reason the counsel would be obligated to report this to anyone?

Maybe I'm a little paranoid but any advice is helpful. Thank you.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Re: Giving Notice at Firm

Post by trebekismyhero » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:42 pm
I lined up at in-house job, but will not leave my current firm for another 3-4 weeks.

There's one counsel I do a lot of work for that I'd like to tell earlier than when I give my two weeks' notice, because we're close, she'll need more time to work out the transition of work from me to others (given the volume), and there's even a chance she could help with my significant other's transition to the new city and help them find a job.

I trust this counsel's discretion generally, but is there any reason this would be a bad idea? Telling a non-partner's not equivalent to giving notice, right - and is there any reason the counsel would be obligated to report this to anyone?

Maybe I'm a little paranoid but any advice is helpful. Thank you.
If you're going in-house, I wouldn't be too worried about your firm. I would think they'd be happy. I'd tell your counsel first, but you can probably tell your firm soon after that and they'll probably let you work until you leave. Going to another firm is different

Anonymous User

Re: Giving Notice at Firm

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:10 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:50 pm
If you're going in-house, I wouldn't be too worried about your firm. I would think they'd be happy. I'd tell your counsel first, but you can probably tell your firm soon after that and they'll probably let you work until you leave. Going to another firm is different
OP. I don't think the firm or the counsel would be upset at all, but there isn't any reason that the counsel would have to report it to the firm generally, is there?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”