When to contact firm about salary.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mcd343536

New

When to contact firm about salary.

Post by mcd343536 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:26 pm

Is it appropriate for me to contact my firm about what they plan to pay me in January. I have seen no news of whether they have restored their virus cutbacks. One partner who called to check in with me in August said "she thinks" then $190 will be restored, but she couldn't say either which way. I am going to start my housing search early next month with the goal of moving in December, so I need to know salary before I can make decisions.

Bronze

Re: When to contact firm about salary.

Post by 2013 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:14 pm

How much are you expecting to pay for housing? 190 v. 160 shouldn’t drastically change your housing situation.

polareagle

Bronze

Post by polareagle » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:10 pm

Housing is actually a decent way to approach this with zero risk of annoying anyone--not because of cost but because you need to prove future income. Reach out to HR/hiring and ask them for a letter confirming what your salary will be for use in securing an apartment. If they put $160k, then you'll know it hasn't been restored. If they put $190k, they may just not have updated it, but it gives you some indication. This is a super standard request and will not ruffle any feathers. (If you call instead of email, you could also just ask them during this process whether the pay has been restored yet.)

malibustacy

Bronze

Post by malibustacy » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:30 pm

2013 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:14 pm
How much are you expecting to pay for housing? 190 v. 160 shouldn’t drastically change your housing situation.
Agreed. Even in a market like nyc, 160 should be plenty for any rental.

If they didn't already revert back to 190, most people you can reach out to probably don't know the answer to that question.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”