Need advice re: early offer deadline

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 350637
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Need advice re: early offer deadline

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:47 am

So I am a 2L that was fortunate enough to receive a 1L SA position at a relatively large boutique firm that starts pay at market (I believe the pay scale compresses after that). I was extended an offer to return that expires in early October. While I liked everyone at the firm that I interacted with, I have realized that I want to practice (or at least try out) an area of law that is not what the boutique specializes in. Also, I also would prefer to practice in a different market.

Under normal circumstances, I would hold on to that offer and go through OCI, but the problem is that my school has pushed OCI back to January this year. I am a fairly strong candidate (GPA>3.75 at a t14, though that could certainly drop this semester), so I think I should do fine in OCI (barring catastrophic grades this semester). However, given the current market uncertainty, I really do not want to turn down an offer without another in hand.

I have been sending out some pre-OCI apps but I don’t think there’s a great chance of getting an offer before my deadline. I feel like asking for a 4 month extension to the current offer is pretty unreasonable and would send a negative message to the firm that I’m obviously looking elsewhere. I also don’t really want to accept the offer and renege later, though that might be my only option.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

User avatar
joeshmo39

Silver
Posts: 540
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:15 am

Re: Need advice re: early offer deadline

Post by joeshmo39 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:21 am

Accept the offer and withdraw if something you'd prefer comes along. It's not ideal, you'll burn your bridge with the firm forever, but I don't see another option. Agree that asking for a 4-month extension is unlikely to land well.

User avatar
trmckenz

Bronze
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:22 pm

Re: Need advice re: early offer deadline

Post by trmckenz » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:35 am

I agree with the poster above. Don't ask for a four-month extension. While it sucks to renege, trust that you will find something better at OCI. It sounds like you will have a lot of options. Good luck!

biglaw_advice

New
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:09 pm

Re: Need advice re: early offer deadline

Post by biglaw_advice » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:03 pm

Biglaw midlevel on recruiting committee here. Agreed on the approach to accept and then back out later if you need to. It's happened to us before and the general reaction is "oh well" since there's not much we can do about it at that point. It's how the game is played. Congrats on killing it 1L year and having options!

anon.2016

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:36 pm

Re: Need advice re: early offer deadline

Post by anon.2016 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:23 pm

Check with your law school offer guidelines. The law firm may be required to give you at least 2 weeks past the first day of Winter OCI. Deadlines are all over the place with delayed OCI.

NoLongerALurker

Bronze
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:08 am

Re: Need advice re: early offer deadline

Post by NoLongerALurker » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:40 pm

anon.2016 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:23 pm
Check with your law school offer guidelines. The law firm may be required to give you at least 2 weeks past the first day of Winter OCI. Deadlines are all over the place with delayed OCI.
Even if the above is true, realistically I think it's better to just accept & back out than to have this conversation with the firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”