SV/SV firms and Covid/remote work

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

SV/SV firms and Covid/remote work

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:16 pm

I am considering a couple offers from two of WSGR/Cooley/Gunderson. How are these firms weathering the crisis? And what are the long term plans regarding remote work? Given that their clients seem to be open to long term remote work will these firms follow suit?

Anonymous User

Re: SV/SV firms and Covid/remote work

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:29 pm

Gunderson and Cooley are known as being much more humane than WSGR generally. Gunderson tends to skew earlier-stage than WSGR or Cooley in terms of clients it services. This is cool because you get to work with a lot of founders. It's less cool because early stage companies don't need in house lawyers. So...six of one, half a dozen of the other. Your experience at WSGR and Gundo will depend on whether you're corporate or lit--WSGR is a very corporate-focused firm. Cooley is a big more balanced. They're all good firms. In general, there's still lots of money sloshing around in the Valley to fund clients, and do deals.

Anonymous User

Re: SV/SV firms and Covid/remote work

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:14 pm

Anon because I work at WSGR in PA/SF. I'm not sure how the post above is at all responsive to OP's questions about COVID and remote work, but I love when anons just have to squeeze in a dig at WSGR. (Also "Gundo"? Is that really a thing?)

I can only speak for WSGR, but we've been told the firm is doing even better than last year. No layoffs, no pay cuts, even some whispers that the hours requirement for bonuses (usually 1,950) may be relaxed, etc. I'd guess Cooley is also doing well given similar clientele and deal flow to ours, but I have no insights into their financials. I haven't heard any bad rumors from the Cooley teams I'm constantly across from. I can't really add anything about "Gundo" (I'm leaning into this one now), but I hope things are going well for the teams there, too.

In terms of remote work, WSGR will be fully remote until at least February 1, 2021. That was announced back at the end of July to give people the ability to plan accordingly. Office reopenings may get pushed back even further, but it wouldn't be because we are following suit with any big-name tech clients -- it would more likely be due to following the state/county guidelines for reopening and ongoing firm surveys about how comfortable people feel about returning to the office. Even when the offices reopen, I suspect ongoing remote work will still be an option for us.

OP, hope that helps. Even if one of your offers isn't WSGR, if you want to drop an e-mail address, I'd be happy to contact you outside of TLS to answer any other questions about the market, firms or particular practice areas. Best of luck with your decision.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”