Getting Published

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Getting Published

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:29 pm

How much do firms care if your note is published? I know my note advisor pretty well, and they will enjoy a different style note than what my journal would like to publish. I am taking my note for three graded credits. Should I style my note so it has a better chance to get published, or style it so to get a better grade? FWIW, I am on a secondary journal and planning to apply mostly for DC lit.

Anonymous User

Re: Getting Published

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:29 pm
How much do firms care if your note is published? I know my note advisor pretty well, and they will enjoy a different style note than what my journal would like to publish. I am taking my note for three graded credits. Should I style my note so it has a better chance to get published, or style it so to get a better grade? FWIW, I am on a secondary journal and planning to apply mostly for DC lit.
No one at my firm ever asks even about Journals so doubt the publication makes a difference, but could vary by firm. If it's not too much more effort, may as well snag a publication just for fun.

Lurk2020

New

Post by Lurk2020 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:03 am

I've never heard of a firm caring if your student note was published-- you're not applying to legal academia. And previously, students were hired before any student notes were even drafted (heck, even with January OCI, it'll still be before journals select notes for publication).

Sackboy

Bronze

Post by Sackboy » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:15 am

Applying is about signaling. The law school you attend, your grades, and your law review membership are the most potent signals. Everything else for the most part is a nominal signal. It's not going to make or break you, but could help you on the margins. For example, a prestigious undergrad, Fed Soc membership, or, in this case, publishing a note.

You just have to ask yourself if you're applying for a crowd that appreciates the more nominal signs. From what I understand, only some hyper-prestigious litigation boutiques and some federal judges could care. If they were to grade your app out of 10.00, maybe they'd at 0.02 to your score (e.g. 8.90 --> 8.92).

It's, quite frankly, probably not worth publishing, especially if you're going to have your GPA hit at all. The simple solution, if you are someone focused on razor thin margins, is just to get an A and publish.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:22 am

I've been in a lot of recruiting discussions at my V5 firm and I can't remember a partner or associate ever mentioning ANYTHING journal-related as a factor in whether or not to give someone a callback or offer. Publishing might have a marginal impact at some sort of "intellectual" boutique, or a one-off big firm here and there, but your grades (and school, experience, having a passable personality, etc.) are going to carry far more weight.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:44 pm

Firms couldn't care less. For some firms, being on LR is still a shiny gold star, but membership is enough. This is a tenuous connection, but some firms care about clerkships, and publications matter more in the clerkship context (though still not required by all judges).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”