Fenwick Tier/Level?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Fenwick Tier/Level?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:05 am

I’m debating whether to lateral and Fenwick is one of my options. The other firms I’m considering are traditional market comp/bonus firms.

Fenwick has a weird tier and level system. Does this generally correlate with class year or are the tiers and levels used as barriers for promotion to the next class year? I’ve seen this at a couple of other firms that appear to use it to slow down the partnership track, but I’ve never seen it at a market/near-market firm.

Anonymous User

Re: Fenwick Tier/Level?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:47 am

Generally correlates. Good people who make their hours seem to move up a level every year. But definitely not an up-or-out sort of place, and particularly when moving up a tier, there's a sense that they take a closer look and will hold folks back. I think the system can sometimes disadvantage laterals (who are good but still acclimating to new practice), but I'm also not sure how different it is from other firms (except those that really are up-or-out or wouldn't even let people repeat a year). My unfounded sense is the other peer firms in VC/tech are similar.

Anonymous User

Re: Fenwick Tier/Level?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:23 pm

Thanks for the intel. I thought the more “elite” firms on the east coast just generally advance associates every year from years 1-8 before forcing them out, but that may be an incorrect assumption.

I guess this model at least allows people to stay longer.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”