How important is having a journal on resume for biglaw litigation?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How important is having a journal on resume for biglaw litigation?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:47 am

Title says everything. Joining a v10 litigation group this fall/winter. It seems like everyone is on a journal except me. Am I kind of screwed in terms of career advancement? Will I be better off switching to corporate?

jarofsoup

Gold

Re: How important is having a journal on resume for biglaw litigation?

Post by jarofsoup » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:55 am

No one cares about journal once you get a job. Just do good work.

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:47 am
Title says everything. Joining a v10 litigation group this fall/winter. It seems like everyone is on a journal except me. Am I kind of screwed in terms of career advancement? Will I be better off switching to corporate?
Other than the small handful of people who like to remind everyone that they were on their school’s law review, I have literally never heard anyone discussing journals post-law school. I certainly have no idea what journals (if any) anyone I work with might have been on. The only time my journal work has even been remotely relevant is MAYBE when bluebooking, but I still have to check the bluebook whenever I have to cite anything other than a case.

Whatislaw

New

Post by Whatislaw » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:59 pm

Exactly what was said above.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:39 pm

This is a very tenuous connection, but there are some firms that care about clerkships, or require clerkships to return to the firm and/or advance, and journal membership is usually an important factor for getting a clerkship (but there are also judges who don't care about clerkships). Outside of this very narrow category of firms, no one gives a crap.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:39 pm
This is a very tenuous connection, but there are some firms that care about clerkships, or require clerkships to return to the firm and/or advance, and journal membership is usually an important factor for getting a clerkship (but there are also judges who don't care about clerkships). Outside of this very narrow category of firms, no one gives a crap.
Is it safe to say those firms are litigation boutiques, so not biglaw?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:12 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:39 pm
Is it safe to say those firms are litigation boutiques, so not biglaw?
Probably, although some lit groups within biglaw (particularly V10) care more about clerkships.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:47 am
This is a dumb question.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:29 pm

law review membership signals that you know the rules of English grammar and the Bluebook citation rules

both are very important to know, and it's conceivable that you might not have a strong grasp on both despite having "made it"

lack of journal membership won't hold you back, but the inability to write and format properly will--partners will blow up on you for this, midlevels who have to redo all of your work will hate your guts for this, and this is what would hold you back

proudgunner

New

Post by proudgunner » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:34 pm

Wild Card wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:29 pm
law review membership signals that you know the rules of English grammar and the Bluebook citation rules

both are very important to know, and it's conceivable that you might not have a strong grasp on both despite having "made it"

lack of journal membership won't hold you back, but the inability to write and format properly will--partners will blow up on you for this, midlevels who have to redo all of your work will hate your guts for this, and this is what would hold you back
When you are talking about writing that would piss off a midlevel or partner, are you talking primarily about form or substance?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”