Does it look bad to sit on offer for a while?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 350533
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Does it look bad to sit on offer for a while?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:37 pm

Got an offer after completing an SA at a very large (think 500+ attorney) office of what I presume to be a financially healthy firm that's one of the tippy top shops NY/DC/Chicago (no layoffs or salary cuts, full pay for summers). I have til Oct. x (redacted for anonymity) to respond. Does it look bad to sit on it for a few weeks (but still get back to them before the deadline)? They know I'm splitting with a gov't/PI (again, only one of the two but not specifying for anonymity's sake) employer, and frankly I'd like to see whether the second employer makes me an offer before I decide. Haven't received any sort of hard press yet; just some congratulations from a few attorneys saying they hope I come back and area available to chat about the decision if I am uncertain. Is it ok to wait a few more weeks?

Anonymous User
Posts: 350533
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Does it look bad to sit on offer for a while?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:29 pm

I'm doing the same things for similar reasons. I don't know why they would care, to be honest.

Anonymous User
Posts: 350533
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Does it look bad to sit on offer for a while?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:35 pm

OP here. Good to have some solidarity. Just a bit neurotic about things with the economy being uncertain.

Anonymous User
Posts: 350533
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Does it look bad to sit on offer for a while?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:37 pm
Got an offer after completing an SA at a very large (think 500+ attorney) office of what I presume to be a financially healthy firm that's one of the tippy top shops NY/DC/Chicago (no layoffs or salary cuts, full pay for summers). I have til Oct. x (redacted for anonymity) to respond. Does it look bad to sit on it for a few weeks (but still get back to them before the deadline)? They know I'm splitting with a gov't/PI (again, only one of the two but not specifying for anonymity's sake) employer, and frankly I'd like to see whether the second employer makes me an offer before I decide. Haven't received any sort of hard press yet; just some congratulations from a few attorneys saying they hope I come back and area available to chat about the decision if I am uncertain. Is it ok to wait a few more weeks?
This seems fine to me. I posted in a different thread advising against this (with the caveat if you split your summer).

Firm will understand that you’d like to hear back from your second summer employer before making a decision. I split between two firms my 2L summer. Ended up choosing the second half firm so the first half firm had to wait a while (they gave out offers the last day of their first half program) but everyone seemed cool with it when they check in / followed up. Were not too stoked when I rejected the offer but I don’t work there and I’m sure they stopped caring as soon as they replaced me with someone else.

I wouldn’t recommend waiting all the way until October though but another week or two to decide seems reasonable assuming you hear back from the other gig soon.

Chrstgtr

Bronze
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:53 am

Re: Does it look bad to sit on offer for a while?

Post by Chrstgtr » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:33 am

No one will notice except for recruiting, and they won't impact your future at the firm at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


User avatar
tyrant_flycatcher

Bronze
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:05 pm

Re: Does it look bad to sit on offer for a while?

Post by tyrant_flycatcher » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:19 am

Chrstgtr wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:33 am
No one will notice except for recruiting, and they won't impact your future at the firm at all.
The hiring partner might. The attorneys who interviewed you or served as your mentors over the summer might. (My firm lets those people know once you’ve accepted your offer so we can reach out and congratulate you.) Still, it doesn’t matter. It will literally be a year before you start. It’s not the type of thing people remember or care about.

Anonymous User
Posts: 350533
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Does it look bad to sit on offer for a while?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:16 am

tyrant_flycatcher wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:19 am
Chrstgtr wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:33 am
No one will notice except for recruiting, and they won't impact your future at the firm at all.
The hiring partner might. The attorneys who interviewed you or served as your mentors over the summer might. (My firm lets those people know once you’ve accepted your offer so we can reach out and congratulate you.) Still, it doesn’t matter. It will literally be a year before you start. It’s not the type of thing people remember or care about.
I agree with this especially in a large office. But when shopping around for other offers, you do need to be careful and gracious with your current firm. We had a 2L SA shop around other offers after our program ended but in their follow-up conversations with attorneys/recruiting they came across as rude/entitled to shop around. Rubbed a lot of attorneys the wrong way (including a few partners).

We didn't rescind the offer but general consensus was we didn't want this person to accept. Lucky for them, they chose a different firm but if they'd started with us, I think people would have remembered even a year later. But this is an extreme example and with a little common sense you should have not trouble navigating this situation.

User avatar
Mullens

Silver
Posts: 1093
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:34 am

Re: Does it look bad to sit on offer for a while?

Post by Mullens » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:43 pm

Don’t be afraid to accept and then renege if the government offer comes later. Life happens and the firm would have no issues doing the same to you (just look at all the firms deferring associates with no additional compensation or lifeline). Your career services office might be mad but not like there’s really anything they can do to you.

We had people in my summer class renege up to like 3 weeks before we started as full-time associates and other than paying back the stipend they got, I don’t really think anyone cared after a few weeks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”