Legal Aid to Private Firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Legal Aid to Private Firms

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:49 pm

I am trying to get hired as an entry level Associate Attorney at a law firm (like plaintiff's side/civil litigation), but my background is primarily focused on policy. I'm interested if you all think that working for a legal aid organization would help me transition to a firm.

During law school, I mainly did policy internships (e.g., interned at the State Department in DC). Following law school, I worked for a policy NGO in Asia for a year. I came back to the US and decided I wanted to shift gears and go more into legal practice. I volunteered for a legal aid org for a few months (mostly writing demand letters) and studied for the bar. I then began a year long clerkship on the DC Superior Court. I've been applying to a ton of small firms and public interest firms in DC but without any luck. I have the opportunity to work for the same legal aid org now as an Associate. I would get a lot of courtroom experience and drafting motions etc. The pay isn't great, so I would ultimately like to transition into another firm that pays better. Any thoughts on if working at a legal aid org for a year would be a good investment?

Return to “Legal Employment”