Big Law to Family Law?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
crouton2012

New

Big Law to Family Law?

Post by crouton2012 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:02 pm

I've been in big law (corporate/securities) for the last eight years. Recently lateraled to my second firm for a junior partner position. Even though I'm getting the opportunities I moved here for I have this nagging interest in family law. I've done a lot of guardianship pro bono work through my firms and handled some pro bono adoptions. Other than having a strong background in finance I can't imagine I have many transferable skills. I would chalk this up to pandemic soul searching but I've been having this day dream pretty much since I graduated law school and felt shoveled down the OCI/big law path with everyone else. I know everyone says it's a miserable practice area but there are a lot of things that appeal to me: helping clients navigate difficult personal times, working with secrets and digging around for info, dealing with your own clients instead of built-in big law relationships with institutional clients, etc. Handling divorces seems really interesting and rewarding to me.

Has anyone here made the switch from corporate (or big law) to family law? Is it hard to make the jump? Thoughts?

Sackboy

Bronze

Re: Big Law to Family Law?

Post by Sackboy » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:47 pm

I've seen people transition from twenty years of corporate legal practice to medical school. It's not really "is it hard/possible" and more "are you willing to do what it takes." If you're willing to take the income hit, potentially start over as a 1st year at a firm, move, or hang your own shingle, you can do it. I'm sure there are alumni from your school in the family law space that would be happy to chat with you about making the transition.

I'm sorry I don't have anything useful to offer than that.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”