Will 2L my summer firm find out about my applying to firms across the county?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
links54

New

Will 2L my summer firm find out about my applying to firms across the county?

Post by links54 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:06 am

Rising 3L here. I have a V100 offer in a major market but am looking to move to another major market across the county. I have reached out to alums from my school working in my desired market in biglaw and a few have offered to put in a word with their office recruiters. Will my emailing firm recruiters/exploring opportunities across the county get back to my 2L summer firm? I don't want to endanger my offer in the event moving firms isn't possible. Thanks!!!

papermateflair

Bronze

Re: Will 2L my summer firm find out about my applying to firms across the county?

Post by papermateflair » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:08 pm

Folks do this all the time - of course, there's always a chance that someone at your current firm gets a little too chatty with one of the firms you reached out to, or the recruiting officer at the new firm decides to check and see if you actually got an offer, but I think most firms/people understand the importance of discretion. I'm sure there's a horror story or two that someone will share, but people try and switch firms all the time as 3Ls and this usually isn't an issue.

Anonymous User

Re: Will 2L my summer firm find out about my applying to firms across the county?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:18 pm

I applied for various job postings as a 3L. Note: I did not go through external recruiters. I ended up with an offer from a V5 contingent on allowing them to contact my summer firm. No other firm that interviewed me or gave me an offer ever contacted my summer firm or even showed interest. This is all to say that if you're applying directly to listings/reaching out to firm contacts it won't get back to your old firm. The only thing I'd be worried about is if you were for some reason using external recruiters. I've heard horror stories of external recruiters sending someone's resume to the firm that they work at. In general, have less trust in people who will make a buck off you than those who are on a salary/tied to an institution.

links54

New

Post by links54 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:53 am

Thank you both for this info! I will make sure to avoid any recruiters. Hopefully, folks at my 2L firm aren't close to recruiters in the other market (seems unlikely).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”