Conflicts Check - Requesting a Matters List from Previous Firm Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Conflicts Check - Requesting a Matters List from Previous Firm

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:02 pm

Has anyone here had success with requesting a matters list from a previous firm in order to comply with a conflicts check at a new firm?

I left my big law job without another position lined up and I am currently interviewing for a new position. I have time records with the names of clients and brief matter descriptions, but I don't have adverse party names for a number of matters. I was in a niche, transactional practice where associates are staffed on roughly 10-15 deals at any given time (think executive compensation/employee benefits), and sometimes my involvement was so peripheral that I didn't even know who the adverse parties were (e.g. partner would ask that I "research X"). Does anyone know if a firm would be amenable to providing a former associate with a complete list of matters for a conflicts check? I left on good terms, if that helps.

(Anon because my situation is fairly specific and I'd rather not out myself.)

beepboopbeep

Gold

Re: Conflicts Check - Requesting a Matters List from Previous Firm

Post by beepboopbeep » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:21 pm

This is routine, and I have gotten one of these lists (but had to supplement it). If you know the right contact in the conflicts department just email them. Otherwise ask someone you trust and maintain a relationship who the best person to ask would be.

Anonymous User

Re: Conflicts Check - Requesting a Matters List from Previous Firm

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:20 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:21 pm
This is routine, and I have gotten one of these lists (but had to supplement it). If you know the right contact in the conflicts department just email them. Otherwise ask someone you trust and maintain a relationship who the best person to ask would be.
OP here--thank you for this info! Appreciate it.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”