Jobless recent T14 grad

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
hv1414

New

Jobless recent T14 grad

Post by hv1414 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:11 pm

Hi all. Hope you are safe in the midst of these times.
I just graduated from a T14 law school. I am a graduate of let's say a "T14" undergrad as well. I find myself jobless. My 2 summer experiences were legal internships at government agencies. I thought I had a fulltime gig at a midtier law firm, but this was lost due to COVID.

Recommendations? I am forever grateful.

Skool

Silver

Re: Jobless recent T14 grad

Post by Skool » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:43 pm

Contact your T-14 career services, see if they can set you up with a school funded PI fellowship. Then call non profits of interest and let them know you can work for free on pretty much anything they want. Judges will also sometimes take these kinds of volunteers.

You just have to find something to help you tread water for a year. You will. Good luck.

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:08 am

Skool wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:43 pm
Contact your T-14 career services, see if they can set you up with a school funded PI fellowship. Then call non profits of interest and let them know you can work for free on pretty much anything they want. Judges will also sometimes take these kinds of volunteers.

You just have to find something to help you tread water for a year. You will. Good luck.
This is a good call. Happened to a guy I know. His law school paid to have him be an extra clerk in a federal judge’s chambers. He put it on his resume just like any other federal clerkship. Now he’s at a big law firm.

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:42 am

Make a list of all the DA, PD, and AG offices in the state where you just took the bar. Apply to literally every one, whether they say they’re looking for people or not. If you don’t hear back in a month, then do the same with all the employers in a 1-state radius, going progressively farther from your comfort zone, until you hit the rural mountain west-where you could get a job today if you applied.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”