U.S. Trustee Program

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
albinododobird

Bronze

U.S. Trustee Program

Post by albinododobird » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:32 pm

Anyone know what it's like to work for the USTP? I have a general sense of what their role in the bankruptcy system is, but what do attorneys do, mostly? Are they involved in a lot of litigation or is it mostly reviewing professional fee applications and the like?

Anonymous User

Re: U.S. Trustee Program

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:45 am

albinododobird wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:32 pm
Anyone know what it's like to work for the USTP? I have a general sense of what their role in the bankruptcy system is, but what do attorneys do, mostly? Are they involved in a lot of litigation or is it mostly reviewing professional fee applications and the like?
When I was in law school, I spent a summer with a USTP office and it was largely comprised of litigation, court hearings, deciding if cases are fraud and need to be referred to USAO, attending creditor meetings, reviewing finances, etc.

Anonymous User

Re: U.S. Trustee Program

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:05 am

Anon at NYC BK shop:

It depends immensely on where you are. Outside SDNY, SDTX, DE, you won't get the huge bankruptcies. In terms of the business bankruptcies, I see the UST on: fighting fee applications, fighting releases, if they think there is some kind of huge fraud, committee formation.

To my understanding, UST's role is much bigger in smaller cases. UST's role is more active in small businesses and very active in consumer bankruptcy. FWIW I know a few people at UST SDNY who really detest the consumer work they do (think, like, BAPCPA abuse arguments) because they think it makes the world worse. I don't practice in those kinds of cases though, so no idea. Apparently a lot of UST priorities are set at DOJ for political reasons that local UST employees do not necessarily agree with.

(Also SDNY UST seems to be full of yellers, in my limited experience.)

FWIW I do not think UST would be a good launching pad into BigLaw (maybe it could get you to a shop that does UCC litigation reps?) or a particularly great exit from BigLaw.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”