Institute for Justice (IJ) Clerkship Prestige? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
purplegoldtornado

Bronze

Institute for Justice (IJ) Clerkship Prestige?

Post by purplegoldtornado » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:42 pm

This may be a really dumb question if it's not prestigious at all, but I am a VP of our school's Fed Soc chapter. We were emailed with a chance to apply for a remote clerkship with the Institute for Justice. Is this worth my time? Thanks!

albinododobird

Bronze

Re: Institute for Justice (IJ) Clerkship Prestige?

Post by albinododobird » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:54 pm

If you're interested in doing that kind of work, you might as well apply. It would probably be a good thing to have on your resume if you want to do libertarian public interest stuff in the future. I would guess that it's not any more prestigious than any other internship or externship, though.

jackshunger

Bronze

Post by jackshunger » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:05 pm

proudgunner wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:42 pm
This may be a really dumb question if it's not prestigious at all, but I am a VP of our school's Fed Soc chapter. We were emailed with a chance to apply for a remote clerkship with the Institute for Justice. Is this worth my time? Thanks!
Isn't it just another externship program? I'm sure its useful work and you can make great connections, but it isn't like their Kennedy Fellowship.

purplegoldtornado

Bronze

Post by purplegoldtornado » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:14 pm

jackshunger wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:05 pm
proudgunner wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:42 pm
Isn't it just another externship program? I'm sure its useful work and you can make great connections, but it isn't like their Kennedy Fellowship.
Thanks, that’s what I thought originally. I imagine my time could be spent better elsewhere. And I really don’t have an interest in PI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:22 pm

I worked as law clerk for IJ during law school. I can't say it brings "prestige" to your resume in the same way a clerkship post-law school does, for example. However, the assignments I received while working at IJ were some of the most interesting and substantive work I did as a law student. The attorneys I worked with were also extremely intelligent and friendly. With those factors, you likely can get more out of your IJ clerk position than most law student intern positions, excluding law clerk positions that lead to post-law school employment obviously.

purplegoldtornado

Bronze

Post by purplegoldtornado » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:22 pm
I worked as law clerk for IJ during law school. I can't say it brings "prestige" to your resume in the same way a clerkship post-law school does, for example. However, the assignments I received while working at IJ were some of the most interesting and substantive work I did as a law student. The attorneys I worked with were also extremely intelligent and friendly. With those factors, you likely can get more out of your IJ clerk position than most law student intern positions, excluding law clerk positions that lead to post-law school employment obviously.
How big was the commitment? You can DM

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”