3L Firm work

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L Firm work

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:16 pm

Hey y'all,
I was just looking for some advice on my situation. I'm entering 3L for a T1 law school in the south. I was supposed to SA with a well respected firm in the south in a midsized city where I'm from. They cancelled the work but continued to pay me 3/4s salary.
I'm doing remote school this semester, so the law firm offered me a position to work during the year as a semi remote (but kinda go into office and make an appearance vibe- the office has about 75 attorneys and I'd say when I was in last week that about 30-40 were there). However, my foreign fiance was also supposed to join me in my city- and the visa process has essentially been frozen. I'm debating now going to live with her in her home country (and helping her out some there as she has a sick family member so it would behoove us for me to be there to help out with some issues) for a few months- I'm thinking mid September until January.
Would I be shooting myself in the foot by going abroad and still doing remote work for this firm? I really want to be with this firm post graduation and don't want to blow my chances. However, obviously I want to be with my partner, and since the visa process has frozen it is quite difficult to see her being here anytime soon.
Essentially, would me going to live in her country for a few months blow my chances with the firm?
Thanks everyone for the help.

Anonymous User

Re: 3L Firm work

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:38 pm

Did you get an associate mentor? If so ask them

Daboose

New

Post by Daboose » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:16 pm
Hey y'all,
I was just looking for some advice on my situation. I'm entering 3L for a T1 law school in the south. I was supposed to SA with a well respected firm in the south in a midsized city where I'm from. They cancelled the work but continued to pay me 3/4s salary.
I'm doing remote school this semester, so the law firm offered me a position to work during the year as a semi remote (but kinda go into office and make an appearance vibe- the office has about 75 attorneys and I'd say when I was in last week that about 30-40 were there). However, my foreign fiance was also supposed to join me in my city- and the visa process has essentially been frozen. I'm debating now going to live with her in her home country (and helping her out some there as she has a sick family member so it would behoove us for me to be there to help out with some issues) for a few months- I'm thinking mid September until January.
Would I be shooting myself in the foot by going abroad and still doing remote work for this firm? I really want to be with this firm post graduation and don't want to blow my chances. However, obviously I want to be with my partner, and since the visa process has frozen it is quite difficult to see her being here anytime soon.
Essentially, would me going to live in her country for a few months blow my chances with the firm?
Thanks everyone for the help.
Agree with the advice to ask an associate mentor if you have one. Do you already have an offer to return full-time after graduation?

If so, I'd be less worried about it. My firm sometimes offers 3Ls at local law schools the opportunity to work part-time. It let's them get a bit of a head start and get paid something like $80/hour which is a nice perk. But I don't think anyone at my firm would mind if for some reason a 3L said no. Most of our SAs are not from local law schools, so they obviously don't get this opportunity.

If you don't have a full-time offer, this may be their way of replacing the summer program / evaluating your work given COVID made them cancel the program. Working remotely may have a negative impact on your chance for a full-time offer. Or the firm might be totally cool with it. It's just hard to tell because this whole COVID situation is unprecedented.

You're in the best position to know which of the above best reflects your situation. At the end of the day, the benefits of living in your home county may very well outweigh the risk of not getting a full-time offer with this firm but that's a personal judgment.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:42 pm

My mentor at the firm is a partner in the firm. I'm starting to become friendly with some of the associate attorneys there, and I think I'd be close enough with them in the next couple of weeks to maybe consider asking. Even if I'm with them for like 1.5-2 months, rather than the full semester, would that not be sufficient? Or if I do the 1.5-2 months in person, and then go remote the rest of the time with them? I guess nobody knows, hah- I'll just have to make the call in September after being with them for some time and make my choice then. Thanks all.

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:42 pm
My mentor at the firm is a partner in the firm. I'm starting to become friendly with some of the associate attorneys there, and I think I'd be close enough with them in the next couple of weeks to maybe consider asking. Even if I'm with them for like 1.5-2 months, rather than the full semester, would that not be sufficient? Or if I do the 1.5-2 months in person, and then go remote the rest of the time with them? I guess nobody knows, hah- I'll just have to make the call in September after being with them for some time and make my choice then. Thanks all.
Definitely don’t do remote without telling them - many firms track where work is done for tax reasons.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:03 pm

The firm would be notified- just debating going away for either 1.5 months or 3/4 months basically. I have to go no matter what- just debating length. Thanks all for the advice again.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”