Moving States / Same Firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Moving States / Same Firm

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:11 am

I'm hoping to move back to be closer to my family. I've been back home in California since the shutdown of our offices in March. I don't anticipate being forced to go back into our offices in New York for the next few months, but I'm pretty certain that I want to stay in SF. We have an SF office, my only concern is the bar. Could anyone share any similar experiences/how your firm received your relocation request? I'm also curious what the length of time is that a firm will allow you to practice outside of your jurisdiction before being forced to sit for the bar exam?

Bronze

Re: Moving States / Same Firm

Post by 2013 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:39 am

I know a couple of people who have done this. I think firms generally require you to be barred in the state before the transfer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:17 am

I did exactly this at a V50. Firm was perfectly OK with it, although the partners I work for went to bat for me and said it would be fine. The firm required me to take the next available bar exam I could, and I had to take a few weeks off to study. But overall, the process was much easier than expected and there was no requirement to be barred before the firm would let me move.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:25 am

Should one reach certain seniority when making this move?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:25 am
I’m the anon from above. I’ve seen it done at multiple levels. I have friends who have done it immediately off of a summer program (ie, asking for their offer to be in SF vs NY), and people who have done it as 7th years. I did it right around the 2 year mark. It’ll probably all depend on your firm there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

The Lsat Airbender

Silver

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Not necessarily. A 2nd year is interchangeable enough that they will cause less disruption (both for the firm and for their own development) when moving offices. But you do need partners to like you to make the politics work, and that takes time.

gasfard

New

Post by gasfard » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:28 pm

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:35 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Not necessarily. A 2nd year is interchangeable enough that they will cause less disruption (both for the firm and for their own development) when moving offices. But you do need partners to like you to make the politics work, and that takes time.
I'm the anon who asked that above. Anyway, thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:11 am
I'm hoping to move back to be closer to my family. I've been back home in California since the shutdown of our offices in March. I don't anticipate being forced to go back into our offices in New York for the next few months, but I'm pretty certain that I want to stay in SF. We have an SF office, my only concern is the bar. Could anyone share any similar experiences/how your firm received your relocation request? I'm also curious what the length of time is that a firm will allow you to practice outside of your jurisdiction before being forced to sit for the bar exam?
Hello! I am an associate in an SF office where several associates have done this. They had to pass the bar first, and the firm blamed very strict CA rules for this. The firm also let them take time off to study/take the exam (though I doubt it paid for prep materials).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”