US attorney starting his career off in a large tech company headquartered in Asia- advices Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ahendkssud11

New

US attorney starting his career off in a large tech company headquartered in Asia- advices

Post by ahendkssud11 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:04 am

I'm a US licensed attorney, who graduated in Fall semester of 2020, licensed in one of the Western states. It was a hard journey finding a job, but I recently got an offer to work as a legal counsel at a large tech company in my home country. I went to college/ law school in the states. Though I'm licensed here and would prefer to remain here, it seems that I'm likely to be looking for jobs, at least for the next 3-4 months until I can find something that I feel that is remotely related to the area i'm interested in. because my goal is to eventually move back, does anyone who have similar experience have any advice for me?

Sackboy

Silver

Re: US attorney starting his career off in a large tech company headquartered in Asia- advices

Post by Sackboy » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:59 am

Does your tech company have a meaningful U.S. presence? If so, it might be best to just try to get back to the U.S. through an internal transfer.

ahendkssud11

New

Re: US attorney starting his career off in a large tech company headquartered in Asia- advices

Post by ahendkssud11 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:35 pm

Sackboy wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:59 am
Does your tech company have a meaningful U.S. presence? If so, it might be best to just try to get back to the U.S. through an internal transfer.
Yes they do! Have you seen any atty doing a lateral move into a firm/ diff company like this in the past?

Sackboy

Silver

Post by Sackboy » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:46 pm

ahendkssud11 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:35 pm
Sackboy wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:59 am
Yes they do! Have you seen any atty doing a lateral move into a firm/ diff company like this in the past?
From my browsing of Linkedin over the past few years, I've definitely seen it happen with a few folks between the U.S. and Europe. I tend to look at profiles of Asia-based attorneys less due to how my practice area works, but I imagine it's possible. It might just take a year or two of working the internal politics, showing that you're competent, and supporting/interacting with the U.S. team enough to make yourself a viable/good candidate for an internal transfer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”