Is Sending Thank Yous to Everyone Expected at End of SA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is Sending Thank Yous to Everyone Expected at End of SA

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:50 pm

I heard someone mention they were doing this; over the top right? Also wouldn't it just be a mild annoyance for the partners? I was planning on emailing my mentors and people I interacted with regularly, but not all my supervising attorneys on each matter.

mardash

New

Re: Is Sending Thank Yous to Everyone Expected at End of SA

Post by mardash » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:13 pm

u do u, don't worry about it

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:25 pm

When I summered, I gave hand-written notes to my associate mentor and two of the associates I worked most closely with (I didn't work super closely with any partners). I think any more than that would be over the top.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:33 pm

FWIW, I'm planning to send emails to my mentors, the attorneys I've worked closely with, and my secretary.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:12 pm

Well, it's not necessary. Unless you really want to express your gratitude.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:48 pm

I just sent quick “thank you and look forward to working with you in the future “emails to the associates on the matters I worked on with.

dvlthndr

Bronze

Post by dvlthndr » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:59 pm

It can't hurt (and it can be a nice gesture), but don't feel obligated to do so.

It won't impact offer-letters, and I don't think it's really expected.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:42 am

I sent a short email to my partner mentor, associate mentor, and a couple of associates I worked very closely with. In the Fall my associate mentor made partner, and I sent an email then too.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:41 am

Doubtful anyone will remember by the time you actually start at the firm. Also not expected for you to do.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:45 pm

It’s something I’d remember. I have a long memory for that type of stuff. And I’d try to look out for the summer that showed some appreciation when he/she started. That’s just me though.

Might be worth it if one of the associates with whom you worked is anything like me.

FedFan123

New

Post by FedFan123 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:43 pm

Keilz wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:48 pm
I just sent quick “thank you and look forward to working with you in the future “emails to the associates on the matters I worked on with.
Except they’ll all be gone by the time you return full time

Tr3

Silver

Post by Tr3 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:10 pm

Second year associate here. Similar to others, when I was a summer, I sent hand-written thank you notes to mentors and associates I worked with, but it didn't seem expected. Now as an associate, I didn't even think about getting any sort of a thank you note until I got a couple emails on the last day from my mentee and some other summers I met. This was really appreciated and was a way for us to communicate an intent to stay in touch after the summer ends. If you are considering sending a note, emails are totally fine, especially given many programs were remote this summer. But you are not obligated to send any note if you don't want to.

As a sad-but-true side story, when I gave an associate a thank you note at one of the firms I summered at, she gave me a hug and almost started crying and said, "I really appreciate this because we don't get a lot of thanks around here." That was pretty sad. Needless to say, I didn't go back to that firm (for a number of reasons).

notinbiglaw

Bronze

Post by notinbiglaw » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:18 am

It's usually not expected. I didn't send them because I felt like all the associates/partners that I worked with would remember me.

But I think this year may be an exception. You presumably did a lot of work from home and had less contact with associates and partners than usual and there is a good chance a lot of people you work with couldn't put a face to your name. Under these circumstances, I think you should send thank you notes and just indicate you look forward to working with them next year.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:53 pm

notinbiglaw wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:18 am
It's usually not expected. I didn't send them because I felt like all the associates/partners that I worked with would remember me.

But I think this year may be an exception. You presumably did a lot of work from home and had less contact with associates and partners than usual and there is a good chance a lot of people you work with couldn't put a face to your name. Under these circumstances, I think you should send thank you notes and just indicate you look forward to working with them next year.
In this market, I’d do every little thing that might help. I noticed that the work product we did get was better than in most years. It may sound like a little thing, but could make the difference.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”