How much of a red flag (for a USAO) is filing/paying taxes late? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How much of a red flag (for a USAO) is filing/paying taxes late?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:35 pm

Self-explanatory; anyone have any insight on how much of an issue (if any) would it be during the clearance process if I filed and paid a very small tax liability (think like $200) a few months late (about 4-5 years from the date of application)?

Anonymous User

Re: How much of a red flag (for a USAO) is filing/paying taxes late?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:49 pm

I was told that the only auto dealbreakers were post-bar drug use, defaulting on student loans, and failure to pay taxes. Now, of course, because I’m a lawyer, I have to say that no one defined that further for me, so I don’t know whether paying late 4-5 years ago would count, and I suspect that failure means failure, not just one late payment. But I can’t guarantee that.

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:24 pm

To work for a USAO you need a secret level security clearance, but before the clearance process, you need to have an offer from the USAO. So it’s a 2 step analysis. 1 is there something on your resume/cover letter/reference that would catch their eye as a reason not to hire you? If not, then 2 is it the kind of thing that would cause you to not get a security clearance? I don’t think late taxes flags either of those.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:39 pm

andythefir wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:24 pm
To work for a USAO you need a secret level security clearance, but before the clearance process, you need to have an offer from the USAO. So it’s a 2 step analysis. 1 is there something on your resume/cover letter/reference that would catch their eye as a reason not to hire you? If not, then 2 is it the kind of thing that would cause you to not get a security clearance? I don’t think late taxes flags either of those.
As someone who got a secret clearance with something similar in my record I really don't think that's even close to a dealbreaker.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”