Life Science Patent In-House Options?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Life Science Patent In-House Options?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:56 am

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has insight about exit opportunities for mid-levels with life science patent experience. This would be for someone with 3-5 years of experience (can also be more or less years; I'm currently a second year) at a V25 firm in New York doing patent litigation, Hatch-Waxman work, and some IPRs. Given the pharmaceutical industry's presence in New Jersey, I assume there are some exit opportunities there.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Life Science Patent In-House Options?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:34 am

I work at a small-to-midsize life science company, and all our patent attorneys have prosecution backgrounds, rather than lit, and have at least masters in our field. Most day to day stuff is either advancing prosecution of our portfolios, doing freedom to operate analysis, working on minor agreements like MTAs, or helping business development on in-licensing or collaboration deals on the diligence side. To the extent you have skills that track those responsibilities, I would highlight those in your resume/applications. I don’t know of too many patent litigators going in-house.

Also in terms of geography, if you’re ok with a move, there are a lot of life science companies in Cambridge, MA, both start-ups but also big pharma players are setting up shop there more and more.

jhett

Bronze

Post by jhett » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:58 pm

Ever consider moving up to Boston? There's a ton of pharma/bio-tech in-house IP positions up here. I'm in-house on the electronics side, but I am so jealous of how many openings there are up here for pharma relative to my specialty.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:36 pm

OP here.

Thank you, both. I know Boston is teeming with great opportunity, but given the fact that I moved around so much to get my undergraduate degree, then doctorate, then law degree, I would really prefer if I didn't have to relocate yet again. I know this cuts out the whole Cambridge/Boston biotech/start-up industry, but at this point in my life, I've somewhat settled down and would ideally prefer not having to move. If push came to shove, I would move again, but would really, really prefer staying in the NY/NJ/CT/Philadelphia area.

My firm does very limited prosecution work, so I lack that skill set (maybe wrote <5 office action responses; two provisional applications; helped with one or two opinions). I'm trying to gain some more portfolio management/transactional/licensing work, but so far, 95%+ of my work is litigation-focused.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”