Scholly Metrics for Tax LLM Programs

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
legalfella12

New

Scholly Metrics for Tax LLM Programs

Post by legalfella12 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:26 pm

Basically what the title says. It would be helpful to see what metrics applicants had, what schools they applied to, and if a scholarship was offered.

Anonymous User

Re: Scholly Metrics for Tax LLM Programs

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:18 am

GULC top ~25%.

No scholarship for NYU. Didn't apply to anywhere else.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:11 pm

Top 10% at a regional school in the Southeast. Took every tax class offered (e.g, basic, partnership, corporate, tax-exempt), was in the tax clinic, and was a teaching assistant for the partnership tax class 3L year. (Also interned with a state supreme court judge and a district court judge, though I'm not sure if LLM programs care too much about court work.) Had an A- in one tax class but the rest were As.

Accepted to Georgetown with no scholarship. Accepted into NYU and offered spot on Tax Law Review and was offered a 50% scholarship.

hoosier41

New

Post by hoosier41 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:11 pm
Accepted to Georgetown with no scholarship. Accepted into NYU and offered spot on Tax Law Review and was offered a 50% scholarship.

For what it's worth (and this just my personal opinion, so it aint worth much), if you decide to go to NYU I wouldn't waste your time doing NYU's "Tax Law Review". I'm in tax and this is the first time I've ever even heard about NYU having a tax journal. It's definitely possible that I've flipped through it at some point and don't remember, but unless you just really love sub&cites I think your time will be better spent focusing on the courses and enjoying one last year of school.

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:20 am

hoosier41 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:39 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

For what it's worth (and this just my personal opinion, so it aint worth much), if you decide to go to NYU I wouldn't waste your time doing NYU's "Tax Law Review". I'm in tax and this is the first time I've ever even heard about NYU having a tax journal. It's definitely possible that I've flipped through it at some point and don't remember, but unless you just really love sub&cites I think your time will be better spent focusing on the courses and enjoying one last year of school.
Tax law review is supposed to be one of the top tax journals, but the thing is that practitioners rarely read academic journals. I'm much more likely to read Tax Notes, Law 360, and law firm published articles, which are tax news headlines coupled with practice articles. The long-form journal stuff tends to be more abstract policy, which isn't all that useful to a practitioner.

Being on a tax journal is not a terrible credential, and may give you some background on the latest hot topics (at least among academics). If you were on a journal in law school, you probably already know the drill.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:24 pm

nealric wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:20 am
hoosier41 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:39 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Tax law review is supposed to be one of the top tax journals, but the thing is that practitioners rarely read academic journals. I'm much more likely to read Tax Notes, Law 360, and law firm published articles, which are tax news headlines coupled with practice articles. The long-form journal stuff tends to be more abstract policy, which isn't all that useful to a practitioner.

Being on a tax journal is not a terrible credential, and may give you some background on the latest hot topics (at least among academics). If you were on a journal in law school, you probably already know the drill.

Poster who was offered the tax journal here.

I am a practitioner now and I agree about not reading formal journals at this point - not enough time. The offer ultimately was attractive because it came out to a roughly $25k scholarship, not that the additional workload sounded attractive.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:01 pm

Was top 15% at a top 20 law school, with several top grades in tax classes. No scholly offers from NYU or Gtown (was about 10 years ago)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:11 pm

I was median at T30 school with many tax courses, tax clinic, and tax related internships. Nothing from NYU and Georgetown but 2/3 from UF, $20,000 from NW and BU.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:13 am

I was slightly above median at a T30 law school (top 40%). My tax GPA in law school was a 3.9 or so.

Nothing from NYU. I got $20k or so from Georgetown. Full-ride from Northwestern.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:28 pm

There are no known metrics, but it really comes down to filling a need and whether one school wants to make sure you don't go to the other. Even though I was way more qualified than my my peers in my LLM program and ended up performing extremely well, I didn't get any scholly offer bc I had already conveyed to the decision makers at the school that I was only interested in that one program due to geography. Why give a scholarship if I was already committed? The guy I advised on this who applied the next year and, although he was geography restricted, acted like he wasn't sure which option he would take pulled out a substantial scholly (also needs to be early in the cycle). Give them a reason to give you money.

legalfella12

New

Post by legalfella12 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:28 pm
The guy I advised on this who applied the next year and, although he was geography restricted, acted like he wasn't sure which option he would take pulled out a substantial scholly (also needs to be early in the cycle). Give them a reason to give you money.
That is golden advice. Thank you!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”