What do I do with my life??

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Deltaforce11

New

What do I do with my life??

Post by Deltaforce11 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:43 pm

My bar exam just got cancelled and I now have diploma privilege in my state. I have a V100 job that is delayed until January 2021. So I have 6 months off and I have nothing to do. What should I do with my life???

sparty99

Gold

Re: What do I do with my life??

Post by sparty99 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:19 pm

Deltaforce11 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:43 pm
My bar exam just got cancelled and I now have diploma privilege in my state. I have a V100 job that is delayed until January 2021. So I have 6 months off and I have nothing to do. What should I do with my life???
No one cares.

tyrant_flycatcher

Bronze

Post by tyrant_flycatcher » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:26 pm

sparty99 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:19 pm
Deltaforce11 wrote:
No one cares.
Pretty sure I know who you are. I know your life is tough right now but no need to take it out on others.

ghostoftraynor

Bronze

Post by ghostoftraynor » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:40 pm

Walk the Appalachian trail or something.

RunnerRunner

Bronze

Post by RunnerRunner » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:23 pm

If you don’t want to be at the V100 firm forever, you could spend some time researching in detail what you want to do after. Once you start practicing life will be hectic, and it’s harder to spend time mapping out your life plan.

If the firm is your dream job: hell, just spend some time relaxing! You won’t get to do that for a long time after you start.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

papermateflair

Bronze

Post by papermateflair » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:25 pm

Do you need to get a job, or do you have enough money/family support to truly take 6 months to do whatever you want? If you don't have to work, I say go deep on a couple of hobbies - maybe one fitness related, and one that's non-fitness related. If you have friends or family that you can safely quarantine with, go spend time with them.

If you're looking for something more professional, then can you volunteer with a campaign? Do some pro bono work? Get involved with your local bar committee for whatever your specialty will be? If you're going into a field where an LLM is helpful-ish (tax?), do an LLM program in the fall that you can finish up in pieces over the next few years? I personally would just do a hobby, but I'm not a go-getter like that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:25 pm

sparty99 wrote:
Deltaforce11 wrote:
No one cares.
In a broader sense, that is kind of reassuring.

bob311

Bronze

Post by bob311 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:33 pm

Honestly - I would stay away from legal work, just because you are gonna shortly have a punch in the gut once you get to your v100. If you wanted to do something professional, go work on a campaign. If not, go hiking for 6 months. Pacific coast trail If you are west coast or the Appalachian trail in the East. You are never gonna have 6 free months again. Enjoy it.

10b5-1

New

Post by 10b5-1 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:42 pm

Y'all understand that there are pretty limited timing windows for hiking the AT or the PCT, especially for first-timers, that you need to apply for a start date permit, and that it takes at least a month absolute minimum to prepare? You could feasibly do a southbound beginning in August but I wouldn't recommend for a first timer.

Anyway. Just saying, these are not last minute decisions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hdr

New

Post by hdr » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:18 pm

Travel the world! Oh, wait...

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:11 pm

tyrant_flycatcher wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:26 pm
sparty99 wrote:
Deltaforce11 wrote:
No one cares.
Pretty sure I know who you are. I know your life is tough right now but no need to take it out on others.
Boy, please. My life is quite fine right now. Really not sure what you are talking about.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:36 pm

hdr wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:18 pm
Travel the world! Oh, wait...
Lol my bar trip is gonna consist of a trip to Kroger for groceries while quarantined

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:13 pm

I'd pursue some hobbies (new or old).

I'd make sure you're getting some exercise in.

I'd make sure you're sleeping right and eating well.

I'd make sure that if you're doing any legal work that it's for a cause you care about. I, personally, find the pro bono part of my practice to be one of the most meaningful aspects, and it's never too early to explore causes you care deeply about. I do a lot of work with hospitals and Native American tribes.

Anon due to identifying info re: pro bono work.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:00 pm

Deltaforce11 wrote:
Literally just enjoy it. If you're this stressed out about the prospect of relaxing for 6 months, talk to a therapist, get some anti-anxiety medication, or smoke some weed.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:54 am

Go live in the UK. That’s still allowed right?

inter-associate

New

Post by inter-associate » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:07 am

If I could go back with what I now know about this industry, I would use this time to develop a hobby or two that I could feasibly take with me into my career. Nothing crazy time consuming or anything, but I would invest extra time now to make sure I had the foundation to sustain the hobby once I began work. I’ve been doing this seven years and only now am I finally able to occasionally pursue other interests, and getting past the basics in anything is hard with such an unpredictable career.

Understand that how you feel depends largely on other factors as well, but would definitely try to turn this into a time you’ll look back on with good memories.

Bronze

Post by 2013 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:33 am

Learn how to play an instrument. That’s something I wish I had time to do now.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JHP

Bronze

Post by JHP » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:51 am

Definitely seconding, thirding the "build a hobby" advice. As someone with limited talents except for drawing and cooking, both of which I often find too exhausting after 18 hour days, I wish I had picked up some other hobbies or talents that were fun, could take the edge off, and just be something else to add to my repertoire. Maybe not everyone feels this way, but for me, biglaw has become my life such that my identity is essentially centered around my job. I wish I had other things that defined me more than my paycheck, and I never took the time to develop that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:00 pm
Deltaforce11 wrote:
Literally just enjoy it. If you're this stressed out about the prospect of relaxing for 6 months, talk to a therapist, get some anti-anxiety medication, or smoke some weed.
Lol I'm not stressed I was just seeing if other people have interesting ideas as to how to use my time

jimmythecatdied6

Bronze

Post by jimmythecatdied6 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:36 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Deltaforce11 wrote:
Lol I'm not stressed I was just seeing if other people have interesting ideas as to how to use my time
You could also smoke some weed while hiking the AT. That could be fun.

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Post by decimalsanddollars » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:22 pm

Depending on your financial situation, you could live in Mexico for a while. They're still allowing US visitors on the same terms, and the cost of living there is pretty cheap. It'd be a nice break from America, if that's what you want

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Deltaforce11 wrote:
Another point. We obviously went to law school for different purposes and from different backgrounds. I came from welfare cheese and a one-room home. I've been waiting for my moment to get to work, to get a paycheck, and to begin supporting my people. I do feel like I'm wasting some time right now, because I have those goals in mind. I'd love to put my degree to work. Best of luck.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:33 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Deltaforce11 wrote:
Another point. We obviously went to law school for different purposes and from different backgrounds. I came from welfare cheese and a one-room home. I've been waiting for my moment to get to work, to get a paycheck, and to begin supporting my people. I do feel like I'm wasting some time right now, because I have those goals in mind. I'd love to put my degree to work. Best of luck.
I’m presuming you’re not the OP? Even if you are, if someone had posted saying “I really want to start working now because I have family I really want to support, how can I make some money before my firm start date?”, people would have responded very differently than to the question asked, “what do I do with my life??”

jackshunger

New

Post by jackshunger » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:33 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Deltaforce11 wrote:
If you need cash this badly, there are plenty of temp gigs available depending on your risk tolerance toward the pandemic. Otherwise, relax and enjoy the last major bit of free time you will have for a long time.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”