Getting a LLM in Tax after a few years of practice?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
estest

New

Getting a LLM in Tax after a few years of practice?

Post by estest » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:01 am

Grateful for your thoughts / advice on this.

By way of a background, I'm a lawyer practising tax law in Australia. I've always been interested in practising in the States, especially now since I have immediately family there (which also simplifies visa processing etc.). I was planning to do a LLM in Tax this year but, thanks to COVID-19, starting in 2021 would realistically be the best option for me. However, that means that I'll have about 4 years of tax practice under my belt before I undertake my Tax LLM. Is that a bit too "late" for a Tax LLM, particularly if I'm hoping that it'll increase my employability in the US? My impression is that the Tax LLM is more geared towards new law school graduates, including those who want another chance at biglaw etc.

I also appreciate that practising tax in another jurisdiction is not the same as US tax law, but I'm hoping that, save for the substantive knowledge, there'll enough be transferable skills to be of value to potential employers. If it helps, I practise in transactional tax and started my legal career in biglaw (no Big4 experience), so I'm quite comfortable with drafting contracts and legal memoranda in a variety of contexts (M&A, financing structures, IPOs etc.). I appreciate that I might need to take a pay cut / drop in class year, but let me know if there are any other issues that I should be aware of that would affect my chances of employability with US law (and/or accounting) firms after doing a LLM given my background.

I'm trying to keep my eyes wide open as possible and be realistic about my chances, particularly if it means a substantive investment of my time and money. My end goal is to be with my family in the States, doing a profession that I have acquired some expertise (and recognition) in .

Return to “Legal Employment”