Should I take medical leave?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Should I take medical leave?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:00 am

Please don't quote.

I was recently diagnosed with T1 diabetes. I am feeling overwhelmed with work generally (we're very busy) and this diagnosis has turned my world upside down. I'm trying to get this under control and am doing ok, but my doctor is utterly incompetent (I have an appointment set up with a better one) and I am struggling to manage this. Should I ask for medical leave? If so, who do I go to (HR or a partner)? How long is a reasonable amount of time to ask for?

As far as I'm concerned, all options are on the table, including stepping back a class year.

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Re: Should I take medical leave?

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:19 am

Do you have any PTO or sick time available?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:00 am
Please don't quote.

I was recently diagnosed with T1 diabetes. I am feeling overwhelmed with work generally (we're very busy) and this diagnosis has turned my world upside down. I'm trying to get this under control and am doing ok, but my doctor is utterly incompetent (I have an appointment set up with a better one) and I am struggling to manage this. Should I ask for medical leave? If so, who do I go to (HR or a partner)? How long is a reasonable amount of time to ask for?

As far as I'm concerned, all options are on the table, including stepping back a class year.
Yes, take medical leave. Any firm that doesn't allow you to take a few months to get this under control is truly garbage. I'd get a doctor to write a note about you needing medical leave and bring it to HR and start the process and then go talk to the partners you work with and let them know you will be taking medical leave.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:10 am

Ohiobumpkin wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:19 am
To be frank, I am not sure. I am at a big firm and, as I understand it, the informal policy is that we can take time off when we need it. I started last fall, so I am relatively new and it would look kind of strange if I took a bunch of time off without explanation. Even if there is PTO or sick leave, I am sure it is only a week or so, not months.

Bronze

Post by 2013 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:07 pm

That’s a tough one. You could take leave, but you would not qualify for FMLA leave since you haven’t been there for a year yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:10 am
Ohiobumpkin wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:19 am
To be frank, I am not sure. I am at a big firm and, as I understand it, the informal policy is that we can take time off when we need it. I started last fall, so I am relatively new and it would look kind of strange if I took a bunch of time off without explanation. Even if there is PTO or sick leave, I am sure it is only a week or so, not months.
If you work for a large firm, there will be a formal policy for medical leave, as well as for unpaid leave. It will not look strange if you take time off. It happens. The firm wants you to stick around so as to become profitable longterm and so will accommodate your needs. And you shouldn't worry about what the firm thinks or what you're colleagues think. You need to look after yourself - don't count on others to do that for you. Take full advantage of the resources available to you, whether vacation/leave/etc. If you're ever given a hard time for doing so then you know it's not the kind of place you want to build a career.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”