Lunch Group

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lunch Group

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:21 am

What are they and how do I find one? A partner mentioned that I should join one, and I don’t even know where to start.

Are these run by the Bar Association or done separately? I don’t want to ask the partner because I acted like I knew what he was talking about.

I’m a midlevel and my firm does a lot of policy work (like many DC offices), so the partner was saying it would be good to get more involved with a lunch group.

Any advice would help!

bwh8813

Bronze

Re: Lunch Group

Post by bwh8813 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:35 am

Never heard of them, but I Googled out of curiosity and this came up - https://www.dcbar.org/communities/conne ... lawyer.cfm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:15 am

Yeah, I hadn’t heard of them either. But I saw that one of the associates in my group is a part of one, which is why I feel like I should probably join one too.

I don’t think the DC Bar offers them. They’re apparently like once a month gatherings for people in that practice group. That’s all I know.

Does anyone know if they are actually beneficial? I know networking and all is important, but doesn’t biz dev kind of lose some of its purpose if the people you’re constantly meeting with work in your area and won’t necessarily give you work unless they can’t handle it?

Sorry for all of the random questions. I just had some downtime today and remembered my conversation with the partner last week and have been searching for this stuff and gave up and decided to ask on here.

Sackboy

Bronze

Post by Sackboy » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:15 am

Does anyone know if they are actually beneficial? I know networking and all is important, but doesn’t biz dev kind of lose some of its purpose if the people you’re constantly meeting with work in your area and won’t necessarily give you work unless they can’t handle it?
One of the absolute best ways to develop business is to have a client referred to you by a lawyer who is conflicted out. You do a great job for that client, and you might just be their next call on [insert your specialty]. Knowing other attorneys in your practice can also be useful for getting invited to be a panelist, learning about developments in your field/key conferences, and sometimes even lateral job opportunities.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:51 am

Sackboy wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:40 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:15 am

One of the absolute best ways to develop business is to have a client referred to you by a lawyer who is conflicted out. You do a great job for that client, and you might just be their next call on [insert your specialty]. Knowing other attorneys in your practice can also be useful for getting invited to be a panelist, learning about developments in your field/key conferences, and sometimes even lateral job opportunities.
Thanks for the advice!

papermateflair

Bronze

Post by papermateflair » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:14 am

I assume if the partner wants you to join a lunch group that they can recommend a specific one? I know you pretended to know what a lunch group was when you were talking to a partner, but surely you could just say something like "hey, I know you recommended joining a lunch group - does _____ group sound good to you? or do you have any other recommendations?" and that won't make them think you clearly don't know what a lunch group is.

The ones I've been a member of have been bar-sponsored, so you should look into what the DC bar offers for your specialty area. They're helpful for having discussions on issues that you haven't thought of and seeing what other practitioners think about certain things, and you never know who is going to go in-house or have a conflict and refer work your way. But also, sometimes you just have to do these things because the partner wants you to, even if there's no real tangible benefit. The benefit is making the partner happy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”