Splitting summer, how to deal with first firm offer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Splitting summer, how to deal with first firm offer?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:39 pm

Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere, I couldn't find it.

I'm splitting my 2L summer between a V10 and a lit boutique, in that order. The V10 has already announced that they're going to offer everyone at the end of the program. I would probably rather work at the lit boutique after law school, but they don't offer all their summers, so I won't know if that's even an option until the end of the boutique's summer program in September.

I don't feel comfortable accepting the V10's offer immediately and then reneging if I get the boutique offer. I also don't want to tell the V10 that they're my second choice. Does the V10's offer need to stay open for a certain amount of time? Anyone have any advice to navigate this? Thanks.

Anon-non-anon

Bronze

Re: Splitting summer, how to deal with first firm offer?

Post by Anon-non-anon » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:06 pm

Many people don't accept their offer at the end of the summer. I would just act enthusiastic to receive it and be very thankful, but just don't say I accept. If they push, do the same thing. If they force your hand, be honest, with a slant toward how much you enjoyed your time.

If it's over email given COVID, that makes it even easier.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:13 pm

The V10 should leave your offer open for a decent amount of time. I think I had until September 30. And if the firm doesn't give you until the end of your lit boutique's summer program, you can ask for a reasonable extension.

Sackboy

Bronze

Post by Sackboy » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:13 pm
The V10 should leave your offer open for a decent amount of time. I think I had until September 30. And if the firm doesn't give you until the end of your lit boutique's summer program, you can ask for a reasonable extension.
It's been a good while, but this was my experience. I even remember some co-workers saying they got extensions into late October.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”