1st Year Lay Off

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1st Year Lay Off

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:16 pm

Graduated in May 2019 from a top25. Passed the NY Bar and went to work for the firm I summered for. Firm is mid size (~350 attorneys). Main office is on the West Coast, but within the last few years opened a small office in NYC, currently about 25 attorneys. I was the only associate working for the sole IP partner in their IP Lit group [not patents] in NYC (they have about 20 IP lawyers on the West Coast and recently decided to develop their IP practice in NYC). Corona came and I was let go about 3 weeks ago. I was billing well and new IP group was doing well before Corona, I had great relationships with the Managing Partner and my Partner, but since the end of March, IP work and new clients really dried up, so I wasn't too surprised I was axed.

How out of luck am I with just 9 months of practice looking for a new job? Should I re-tool and try to go into a different practice area? I do enjoy the IP work but I am flexible.

During my job search I am getting some bites for Project Management jobs in eDiscovery. It's not associate pay but its decent for cash in hand especially when CoL is already high in NYC and its not doc review. Worth it to take these legal-related jobs for now, until I can get back to a law firm? Will it knock me out from going back to private practice?

Any advice appreciated!

Spectator

New

Re: 1st Year Lay Off

Post by Spectator » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:01 am

What's stopping you from doing the non-ideal, temporary jobs to have cash, and not including them on your resume as you continue to look for an ideal, long-term job?

Pomeranian

Bronze

Post by Pomeranian » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:20 am

Do you have any experience in eDiscovery as a first year associate? My understanding is that it's kind of technical. You have to know how to navigate the various software (Relativity, etc.), but I suppose you can get trained.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:16 pm

During my job search I am getting some bites for Project Management jobs in eDiscovery. It's not associate pay but its decent for cash in hand especially when CoL is already high in NYC and its not doc review. Worth it to take these legal-related jobs for now, until I can get back to a law firm? Will it knock me out from going back to private practice?
If you have absolutely no other options, take the eDiscovery job. But if you spend too long there, it's VERY difficult to climb out of the staff attorney/eDiscovery hole back into a "regular" associate position. If you are positive that you were only let go for financial reasons (not performance), don't be afraid to reach out to the partner you were working for to see if he/she has any leads

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:26 am

OP here.
What's stopping you from doing the non-ideal, temporary jobs to have cash, and not including them on your resume as you continue to look for an ideal, long-term job?
Good point. I guess my only concern was being unemployed as an associate for too long, especially with covid, and having a big gap on my resume particularly as a still first year.
Do you have any experience in eDiscovery as a first year associate? My understanding is that it's kind of technical. You have to know how to navigate the various software (Relativity, etc.), but I suppose you can get trained.
I have a data science/forensics background before going to law school and the role is specifically for a PM in their forensics department, rather than the PMs working with Relativity.
If you have absolutely no other options, take the eDiscovery job. But if you spend too long there, it's VERY difficult to climb out of the staff attorney/eDiscovery hole back into a "regular" associate position. If you are positive that you were only let go for financial reasons (not performance), don't be afraid to reach out to the partner you were working for to see if he/she has any leads
Understood. The eDiscovery role is in their forensics department, so I actually wouldn't be doing staff attorney work, I don't think. As the above poster mentioned, I could just leave the temp role off my resume.
I previously reached out to my IP Partner for leads. He hasn't responded, but I'll circle back.

Thanks guys!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:43 am

This was me essentially back a few years ago. You need to apply nationally and be willing to move anywhere to get an equivalent associate position, even if it's in a secondary city you never thought you'd move to. Then after a few years, you'll have more flexibility to move elsewhere.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:00 am

I guess in this economy I would take any salary I could get. But if you want to be a lawyer, you might try a small to medium size firm or government position.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:27 pm

One idea - use this time to get CIPP-certified. With your background, I think you may find broader opportunities in IP/data privacy lit and the certification will be a useful thing to pick up while you job hunt.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:11 pm

This was me essentially back a few years ago. You need to apply nationally and be willing to move anywhere to get an equivalent associate position, even if it's in a secondary city you never thought you'd move to. Then after a few years, you'll have more flexibility to move elsewhere.
Yep, I've definitely expanded my search. My school is in another state and decently well known in that part of the US so trying to milk that whole area.
I guess in this economy I would take any salary I could get. But if you want to be a lawyer, you might try a small to medium size firm or government position.

I recently started to reach out to small firms; they have a been little more receptive and I'll continue to do so. Very much willing to do government work to prevent any big non-lawyer jobs gaps; any advice on where to start with government positions?
One idea - use this time to get CIPP-certified. With your background, I think you may find broader opportunities in IP/data privacy lit and the certification will be a useful thing to pick up while you job hunt.
I'll look into getting the CIPP cert. Privacy seems pretty hot right now.

Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”