Does offering a two year haircut as part of a retool lateral application send bad signals?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

New

Does offering a two year haircut as part of a retool lateral application send bad signals?

Post by 3141595 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:13 pm

Hope everyone is doing well in these crazy times! I'm an associate trying to retool into a specialty corporate group from a different specialty corporate practice. There isn't much substantive overlap (i.e. think leverage finance vs. tech trans), and I am having trouble making any progress. I am in a major market, but there are not a lot of groups who practice in the space I want to change into. Every group was looking pre-covid/had postings, but they are only looking for midlevels. As a result, I have not had much luck thus far besides getting told to try and build more relevant experience if possible.

I was thinking of explaining on the front end that I am fine with losing two class years to improve the economics in my favor. However, I am worried it looks too desperate and may give the impression I have been laid off. Anyone know whether this would raise red flags? FWIW I am at a peer or "better" firm (quotes because I am just going off vault rankings to give a sense of context, but recognize they are meaningless) in a strong group and the firm has not had any layoffs or salary reductions.

jarofsoup

Gold

Re: Does offering a two year haircut as part of a retool lateral application send bad signals?

Post by jarofsoup » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:33 pm

Your recruiter can offer it you shouldn’t. If they want it they will ask during the interview.

Throwaway5818

New

Re: Does offering a two year haircut as part of a retool lateral application send bad signals?

Post by Throwaway5818 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:24 pm

I definitely wouldn't try this. If they're willing to hire you at a reduced salary, let them offer it. I also wouldn't read too much into the fact that you've been having trouble finding a new job right now, it's not exactly a red hot job market. I would just wait until later this year when hopefully things get better.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”