Biglaw transactional practices in Washington, D.C.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Biglaw transactional practices in Washington, D.C.

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:06 pm

TL;DR: are there any biglaw firms in D.C. that have at least some presence in corporate (public or private equity) transactional practices?

I'm a junior associate at a biglaw firm in a major market. My spouse works in the legal field as well and is considering a transfer to Washington, D.C. Spouse works in public policy so it would be a good move.

I am a first-year junior transactional attorney. I like it. I like the firm. But I wouldn't mind exploring other options, too, at least as far as practices go. My firm has a DC office but it is almost exclusively antitrust and appellate litigation (not surprising).

There is a chance that the firm could let me have an office in D.C. but keep me in the directory at my current office, but that might not be possible. Given the economic climate I'm not ready to have that conversation with them, yet.

If I were to start looking around at other firms--and granted this is preliminary and I realize I'm writing this in a very unique situation with the industry slugging along and nearly everyone working from home due to the pandemic--what other firms would you recommend I look into that has at least some traditional public and private transactional work? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

WhiteCollarBlueShirt

Bronze

Re: Biglaw transactional practices in Washington, D.C.

Post by WhiteCollarBlueShirt » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:39 pm

Plenty... Akin and Kirkland come to mind immediately, but plenty...

Recruiters will reach out to you once things pick up again and you can check laterally or other postings to get an idea of the market.

Bronze

Post by 2013 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:08 pm

Most firms have some corporate attorneys (a lot seem to have at least a partner or two) in their DC offices. They have smaller practices, so they’re usually more selective than NY practices. A lot of where you can go will depend on your current firm and your school/grades. Some firms I can think of are Goodwin, Cooley, Gibson Dunn, and Hogan Lovells.

I wouldn’t wait until recruiters reach out to you. You should reach out to a reputable dc recruiter and start looking around now.

Joachim2017

New

Post by Joachim2017 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:12 pm

Davis Polk and Gibson Dunn are two of the top choices in this context, I think.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:40 pm

replying to a deleted post...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:58 pm

Joachim2017 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:12 pm
Davis Polk and Gibson Dunn are two of the top choices in this context, I think.
Maybe DPW's website isn't up to date, but I count like, 10 non-litigation attorneys in their DC office. Out of ~35 total.

Gibson obviously has a large footprint though

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:16 am

Kirkland has been intentionally seeking to expand non-lit practices in DC over the last couple of years. Still a lit heavy office (what isn’t in DC?) but certainly more than 10 transactional attorneys. No clue if they have the flavor of transactional that you’re looking for though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:44 am

Kirkland has been expanding its transactional practices in DC. Around 20 now from almost 0 a few years back. You should know that offices in DC are more selective than NY's because of their small size.

baskan1234

New

Post by baskan1234 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:44 pm

Latham and if I am not mistaken Hogan also have large transactional practices in DC.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:53 pm

OP Here. Thank you for the recommendations.

@parkslope, interesting that Covington is mentioned in the Chambers article, I thought the firm had virtually no corporate practice, certainly not in D.C. I was having trouble finding much of a corporate practice on their D.C. webpage.

Looks like K&E and Gibson might be a good start. I have law school friends at both firms but none in D.C. who also work in corporate.

The economic climate makes me a little nervous. I'm only a first year, just a junior, I don't have that two-year threshold yet. I did go to a CCN and graduated cum laude with journal so I think I am probably okay with the school cred, but the experience might still be a debilitating factor (partnered up with the current economic climate).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:42 pm

Anyone know how Covington is faring during the crisis?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:53 pm
@parkslope, interesting that Covington is mentioned in the Chambers article, I thought the firm had virtually no corporate practice, certainly not in D.C. I was having trouble finding much of a corporate practice on their D.C. webpage.
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:42 pm
Anyone know how Covington is faring during the crisis?
Covington junior at the DC office. *knock on wood* Things generally seem to be going well, at least compared to some of the stories we're hearing from other firms.

No layoffs or cuts for associates or staff. Last I heard, we were still paying contract staff at the office (e.g. the workers for our cafeteria vendor, maintenance, etc.). And we're taking people back from clerkships. No word on bonuses one way or the other.

In terms of corporate practice, we do have it in DC. And they seem like nice people. I have very limited interactions with them in my practice areas. My understanding (again, limited) is that a lot of our corporate work in DC is related to our regulatory practices, such as cross-border M&As that require trade controls experts, etc.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”