Can interviewers check where else I got offers?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Can interviewers check where else I got offers?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:40 am

If so, how? I heard some firms ask Qs like which other firms have given you offer. Do people bluff?

Ultramar vistas

Bronze

Re: Can interviewers check where else I got offers?

Post by Ultramar vistas » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:40 am
If so, how? I heard some firms ask Qs like which other firms have given you offer. Do people bluff?
They probably can’t/don’t, but just don’t lie. It isn’t worth it, lies have a tendency to get out of hand, and the legal community is surprisingly small. Partners and recruiters do have friends and ex colleagues at a wide spread of peer firms and it’s not impossible to imagine a quick text to check a statement by a recruit that sounded off or seemed unlikely.

ChickenSalad

New

Post by ChickenSalad » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
No and we don’t care to try to find out where an interviewee got an offer or if they’re lying when they say they got one from X firm.

This isn’t a question I’ve heard before. If someone asks it, they’re just curious to know what firms they’re seen to be competing with. If you don’t have an offer just say you’re waiting to hear back on callbacks from whatever firms you’re waiting on.

jacketyellow

Bronze

Post by jacketyellow » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
An associate, not a partner, asked me during 2L OCI where I received offers from. He was trying to guess where I would go if I had other offers. I told him of the other offers I had. He nodded. The firm offered me the next day, and I got a call from the associate who said, "We know we can't compete against the other firms, so we needed to get an offer fast to you -- so you could have some time to compare."

So, some firms do ask, but I think it's an individual thing. I don't think they'll check up on you, but some firms ask if they are extremely interested in you. Most times, though, they don't ask. And they definitely won't go out of their way to peak at another firm's offer/acceptance rate. That's dumb and takes too much time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”