New York and London

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

New York and London

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:45 pm

Are there any attorneys who have successfully built their career in NY and London? I am referring to an attorney who works for both the London and NY office of a law firm (and is dual qualified). I remember Bill Voge had offices in NY and London. I'm in corporate but happy to transition if I can work this out as I have family on both sides. It would be nice to spend time on both sides.

Anonymous User

Re: New York and London

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:45 pm
Are there any attorneys who have successfully built their career in NY and London? I am referring to an attorney who works for both the London and NY office of a law firm (and is dual qualified). I remember Bill Voge had offices in NY and London. I'm in corporate but happy to transition if I can work this out as I have family on both sides. It would be nice to spend time on both sides.
There is a bunch of partners who split their time between New York and London. I have also seen other combinations of US and European offices. I don‘t know if these people „built their career“ in those two locations or if they are rainmakers who do whatever they want (I guess the latter).

I don‘t think this is possible for associates (or at least extremely uncommon) but many firms will let you work from another office occasionally.

Anonymous User

Re: New York and London

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:45 pm
Firms don't really have a role for people who work in both NY and London, because it's not a business need. The majority of US qualified associates in London work on capital markets deals for international clients. There are some scattered M&A and WCC associates that are US qualified, but these don't really work in NY and London, they're London-based. Even before Brexit and Coronavirus the need for US-qualified associates in London was declining as clients become more accustomed to having global counsel operate from multiple offices, so US capital markets deals can just be run out of London using NY associates. NY offices have been doing this with UK qualified associates for years (i.e. have the UK folks handle UK matters, but no need to bring the UK folks to NY). I wouldn't anticipate that any firm would be happy with a position pretty much completely focused on one place or the other.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”