2021 3L OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2021 3L OCI

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:42 pm

Hi everyone,

just thought I'd start this thread for 3L OCI. I looked at threads from previous years and it seems that people started applying in the summer. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to approach 3L OCI this year with COVID and presumably less open spots?

Anonymous User

Re: 2021 3L OCI

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:22 am

I'm strongly considering this if there are open spots. See the thread I created here:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=306087&sid=ac390cd ... c09a8e1914

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:22 am
I'm strongly considering this if there are open spots. See the thread I created here:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=306087&sid=ac390cd ... c09a8e1914
Yes, I saw your thread! I don't have a 2L SA though so I thought I'd start a new thread. Best of luck on your search.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:03 am

I am also curious to see how this will impact 3L hiring. I am not sure how far COVID is going to push back the 3L timeline. I know most OCI programs have been postponed, but I can see a couple of arguments here.

Perhaps 3L hiring also gets pushed and/or reduced due to economic uncertainty in general and less hiring overall. On the other hand, if a firm recognizes it has unmet needs after offers are extended to current summers, maybe 3L hiring could still take place fairly early since recruiters will not be worrying about OCI/2L hiring concurrently?

My gut says the unknown depths of future economic downturn as well as the unknown timeline for when things "get back to normal" will mean less 3L hiring than usual and likely on a delayed (late-spring?) timeline. This is all just my uninformed musings as I am a fellow rising 3L.

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:25 pm

I hope for the sake of law students than any formal 3L OCI gets pushed back as far as possible. I doubt many employers would even show up in August.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:31 pm

nealric wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:25 pm
I hope for the sake of law students than any formal 3L OCI gets pushed back as far as possible. I doubt many employers would even show up in August.
But wouldn't this be a bad thing for people who have 2L SA offers that they have to accept within a certain timeframe? That would be asking us to renege which I can't imagine would be a good look. Anon bc 2L SA.

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:31 pm
nealric wrote:
But wouldn't this be a bad thing for people who have 2L SA offers that they have to accept within a certain timeframe? That would be asking us to renege which I can't imagine would be a good look. Anon bc 2L SA.
Irrelevant. There wouldn't be an 3L offers with which to renege with.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:37 pm

nealric wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:39 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:31 pm
nealric wrote:
Irrelevant. There wouldn't be an 3L offers with which to renege with.
Above anon. Suppose, as in years past, I receive an offer from the biglaw firm I'm doing my 2L SA with and I have until October 1st to accept it. Are you saying that I would have no choice but to accept that offer? My understanding is that my firm plans to give everyone offers per usual but I was considering 3L OCI (or more like mass mailing target firms the day I officially receive the offer) for personal reasons.

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:37 pm
Above anon. Suppose, as in years past, I receive an offer from the biglaw firm I'm doing my 2L SA with and I have until October 1st to accept it. Are you saying that I would have no choice but to accept that offer? My understanding is that my firm plans to give everyone offers per usual but I was considering 3L OCI (or more like mass mailing target firms the day I officially receive the offer) for personal reasons.
I think you are extremely unlikely to secure an offer from another BigLaw firm before the end of the Fall semester.

You should obviously like, try. But 3L OCI is pretty limited even when the economy is hot. I would expect it to be nearly-nonexistent during a global recession.

A lot of these firms probably don't even want to hire all the summers they have, let alone bring on additional ones.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:27 pm

LBJ's Hair wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:22 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I think you are extremely unlikely to secure an offer from another BigLaw firm before the end of the Fall semester.

You should obviously like, try. But 3L OCI is pretty limited even when the economy is hot. I would expect it to be nearly-nonexistent during a global recession.

A lot of these firms probably don't even want to hire all the summers they have, let alone bring on additional ones.
I see your point. I was under the impression that my firm would be extending offers on the last day of the summer program like they always do. I didn't realize I could be waiting until weeks or months after the program's end to know if I have a job upon graduation at all. Thanks for the heads up.

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:27 pm
LBJ's Hair wrote:

I see your point. I was under the impression that my firm would be extending offers on the last day of the summer program like they always do. I didn't realize I could be waiting until weeks or months after the program's end to know if I have a job upon graduation at all. Thanks for the heads up.
I think one of us misread the others' post, sorry. Or I wasn't clear.

I think you'll get an offer from your summer firm at the end of the program.

But I don't think many, if any, firms will be on campus this Fall doing 3L OCI. For the reasons stated in my prior post.

So you'll probably have to (a) accept your summer firm's offer, (b) keep interviewing, and (c) renege, if you plan to go somewhere else.

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:27 pm
LBJ's Hair wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

They may not extend offers immediately at the end of the summer. My old firm generally did, but during my summer (great recession period) they waited until the fall to extend offers (or not). Many firms that were normally 100% offers were 50% or less at that time.

But yes, you would have to renege if you wanted to go somewhere else. Generally poor form, but in light of the circumstances it probably wouldn't do any lasting damage. Firms have better things to do with their time than act vindictive towards prospective employees. I've also heard of much worse things than first years reneging on an offer with months before their start date, like lateral partners failing to show on their planned first day with no notice given.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:38 pm

Wanted to bump this to see if there was any movement; I only sent out a couple targeted emails but no responses yet.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:38 pm
Wanted to bump this to see if there was any movement; I only sent out a couple targeted emails but no responses yet.
Which markets?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:25 pm

I did 3L OCI after accepting an offer from 2L SA and I know for certain many others did too, including a couple that reneged on 2L acceptance to upgrade.

I heard someone that reneged at different school got banned from Symplicity but why would anyone care?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I've applied to a couple of things on Symplicity. Got hit with rejects from DPW and PW so far. No BigLaw 2L SA, but did spend my summer at an F100 company.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:01 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I've applied to a couple of things on Symplicity. Got hit with rejects from DPW and PW so far. No BigLaw 2L SA, but did spend my summer at an F100 company.
Sorry to hear this anon. In the same boat and got dinged from PW corp too. Did you apply to a specific group at DPW?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:28 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Sorry to hear this anon. In the same boat and got dinged from PW corp too. Did you apply to a specific group at DPW?
Yeah, derivatives. But maybe a week or so after the reject they posted a few more groups to Symplicity and I applied to those as well. Still haven't heard and not expecting to get it but hey, might as well throw my hat in the ring.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:15 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yeah, derivatives. But maybe a week or so after the reject they posted a few more groups to Symplicity and I applied to those as well. Still haven't heard and not expecting to get it but hey, might as well throw my hat in the ring.
Good luck with the other groups, fellow 3L. Our (T14) symplicity only had derivatives so I guess they don't want us for the others.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:41 pm

My TTT had 3 DP and 1 PW. Already got my PW ding, but no world from DP yet.

Anyone have success yet? Any interview invites?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:12 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:15 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Good luck with the other groups, fellow 3L. Our (T14) symplicity only had derivatives so I guess they don't want us for the others.
(same anon) That's weird because I'm at a lower T-14 and it had multiple groups. Derivates, finance, and corporate.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”