Not very hopeful about in-house

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Not very hopeful about in-house

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:01 pm

I interviewed for an in house position back in late April. I was recommended to the head of the department by a partner I worked for. Things moved pretty quickly. Within 2 weeks of submitting my resume to the head of the group, I had a screening phone interview and 7 interviews with the whole department that I would be working for. They couldn’t give a specific timeline for hiring, but said they’re looking to hire pretty quickly and they should be getting back to me within 2-3 weeks.
Two weeks after I interviewed, I got an email from the recruiter, saying that they are still interviewing other candidates and will be in touch ASAP. I responded with a couple of questions, and she responded promptly. A week after that, I got another email, saying that they would most likely to have a final decision first week of June. I replied and asked if there were going to be any additional rounds of interviews, and she responded quickly with no, but she would be in touch if that changes.
Last week (first week of June) I emailed her, asking if there were any updates and didn’t get a response until two days later, saying that she should have an update for me next week. I’m guessing I’m the backup plan or just a flat out no, but they won’t tell me until their top choice says yes. I don’t know if this is typical or the process is slowed down by covid. I have never interviewed for an in house position and am not used to this slow pace. Also, does in house hr typically tell you if you get rejected or you just never hear from them again.

hdr

New

Re: Not very hopeful about in-house

Post by hdr » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:20 pm

I think you're probably right that you're the backup option. I was in a similar situation and got a rejection email the same day the person they hired left his firm. Also I've found that in-house HR is typically better about communicating rejections than law firms.

nealric

Re: Not very hopeful about in-house

Post by nealric » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:18 pm

I'm afraid you may just be ghosted if you aren't the chosen candidate. Unfortunately, that's the nature of hiring these days. The common courtesy of the rejection letter is dead.

But don't get too hung up on any single employer. There are many companies out there.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”