3L OCI 2020/21

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 350980
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

3L OCI 2020/21

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:43 pm

Will this be a thing this year? T14 rising 3L with a NY biglaw SA. Was hoping to trade up before COVID happened. Big grade improvement first semester 2L. Anon for obvious reasons (still need to cop the offer from 2L SA firm).

BrainsyK

Bronze
Posts: 340
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:37 am

Re: 3L OCI 2020/21

Post by BrainsyK » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:55 pm

I think that it'll still be a thing but with less slots and the concentration of jobs in hotly sought areas will be even higher and even less generalist positions open. Unless you have a summer experience to make you stand out and a firm is looking to fill a specific position, it's even more unlikely than usual to get an offer.

That's not to say that it's a death sentence though. In my experience, T14 3Ls interviewing for specific practice areas with relevant experience during the summer and a full-time offer in hand is basically shooting fish in a barrel. You could have median grades and come from anywhere in the V100 and still land a V5. Last year, I remember that Cravath was looking to fill very few--maybe 2-3--executive compensation spots well into December.

Anonymous User
Posts: 350980
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI 2020/21

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:17 pm

BrainsyK wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:55 pm
I think that it'll still be a thing but with less slots and the concentration of jobs in hotly sought areas will be even higher and even less generalist positions open. Unless you have a summer experience to make you stand out and a firm is looking to fill a specific position, it's even more unlikely than usual to get an offer.

That's not to say that it's a death sentence though. In my experience, T14 3Ls interviewing for specific practice areas with relevant experience during the summer and a full-time offer in hand is basically shooting fish in a barrel. You could have median grades and come from anywhere in the V100 and still land a V5. Last year, I remember that Cravath was looking to fill very few--maybe 2-3--executive compensation spots well into December.
If I apply to firms as a 3L, I will have presumably already have accepted my 2L summer firm's return offer.

Won't firms be suspicious that you are looking to renege on your offer?

Or do people who want to do 3L applications ask for extensions on their 2L firm offers? (And wouldn't the 2L firm get impatient with that?)

BrainsyK

Bronze
Posts: 340
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:37 am

Re: 3L OCI 2020/21

Post by BrainsyK » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:17 pm
If I apply to firms as a 3L, I will have presumably already have accepted my 2L summer firm's return offer.

Won't firms be suspicious that you are looking to renege on your offer?

Or do people who want to do 3L applications ask for extensions on their 2L firm offers? (And wouldn't the 2L firm get impatient with that?)
You get until Oct. 1ish to accept your return offer. In good times, people asked for and firms were pretty generous with extensions (as in multiple extensions; not just one). Firms will not like it if you renege on your offer, but that's kind of the balance of risk v. reward. Firms do get impatient with that, but there's not a whole lot that they can do (in a tight labor market). I wouldn't pull that extension stuff in this economy, or least make sure you're well-liked before you do. Then again, how valuable can a summer--even if well-liked--really be?

nls336

New
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 2:26 pm

Re: 3L OCI 2020/21

Post by nls336 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:18 am

BrainsyK wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:02 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:17 pm
If I apply to firms as a 3L, I will have presumably already have accepted my 2L summer firm's return offer.

Won't firms be suspicious that you are looking to renege on your offer?

Or do people who want to do 3L applications ask for extensions on their 2L firm offers? (And wouldn't the 2L firm get impatient with that?)
You get until Oct. 1ish to accept your return offer. In good times, people asked for and firms were pretty generous with extensions (as in multiple extensions; not just one). Firms will not like it if you renege on your offer, but that's kind of the balance of risk v. reward. Firms do get impatient with that, but there's not a whole lot that they can do (in a tight labor market). I wouldn't pull that extension stuff in this economy, or least make sure you're well-liked before you do. Then again, how valuable can a summer--even if well-liked--really be?
I may be off base here, but I'm not sure this is true anymore after the relegation of the NALP rules. If it's still the case, that's great, but if you're doing OCI please check w/ your OCS for info on what your timelines will look like w/r/t offers and your OCI process!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 350980
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI 2020/21

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:06 pm

OP here. Got the offer and it expires on Oct. 1. Reviving this thread in case other rising 3Ls are in the same boat. Has anyone mass-mailed yet?

nayaab05

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:39 pm

Re: 3L OCI 2020/21

Post by nayaab05 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:54 pm

Hearing that NY firms are not considering 3L hiring until January at the earliest...

Interested if anyone is hearing anything different.

Anonymous User
Posts: 350980
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI 2020/21

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:17 am

nayaab05 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:54 pm
Hearing that NY firms are not considering 3L hiring until January at the earliest...

Interested if anyone is hearing anything different.
OP here. I got the same from a mass mail. Wondering how this works with offer deadlines from our summer firms. Someone please explain/advise....

becodalapa

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:08 pm

Re: 3L OCI 2020/21

Post by becodalapa » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:17 am
nayaab05 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:54 pm
Hearing that NY firms are not considering 3L hiring until January at the earliest...

Interested if anyone is hearing anything different.
OP here. I got the same from a mass mail. Wondering how this works with offer deadlines from our summer firms. Someone please explain/advise....
Accept and then renege if necessary. You burn that bridge but it's better than not accepting the offer, not receiving a job offer through 3L OCI, and being unemployed after graduation.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


Anonymous User
Posts: 350980
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI 2020/21

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:14 pm

becodalapa wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:40 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:17 am
nayaab05 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:54 pm
Hearing that NY firms are not considering 3L hiring until January at the earliest...

Interested if anyone is hearing anything different.
OP here. I got the same from a mass mail. Wondering how this works with offer deadlines from our summer firms. Someone please explain/advise....
Accept and then renege if necessary. You burn that bridge but it's better than not accepting the offer, not receiving a job offer through 3L OCI, and being unemployed after graduation.
[OP] Thanks, this seems to be the best option given the circumstances. Would you suggest accepting right away or giving it a couple weeks? I don't really see the harm in waiting until, say, mid-September, in case a mass-mail firm comes through with a screener before then. But if that scenario is going to be impossible, maybe I should just accept now so as not to offend my current firm by shopping around.

nayaab05

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:39 pm

Re: 3L OCI 2020/21

Post by nayaab05 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:27 pm

Update:

Cold emailed an alumni at a v50 NY firm. They responded with a zoom call set up for early September. Alumni happens to also be the corporate dept head at the firm and based on this forum it sounds like the firm is busy.

Should I be preparing as if it is a screener?

User avatar
nealric

Moderator
Posts: 3504
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: 3L OCI 2020/21

Post by nealric » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:46 pm

nayaab05 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:27 pm
Update:

Cold emailed an alumni at a v50 NY firm. They responded with a zoom call set up for early September. Alumni happens to also be the corporate dept head at the firm and based on this forum it sounds like the firm is busy.

Should I be preparing as if it is a screener?
It may just be an informational interview, but be prepared if it starts feeing more like a screener.

nayaab05

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:39 pm

Re: 3L OCI 2020/21

Post by nayaab05 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:55 pm

nealric wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:46 pm
nayaab05 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:27 pm
Update:

Cold emailed an alumni at a v50 NY firm. They responded with a zoom call set up for early September. Alumni happens to also be the corporate dept head at the firm and based on this forum it sounds like the firm is busy.

Should I be preparing as if it is a screener?
It may just be an informational interview, but be prepared if it starts feeing more like a screener.
Gotcha! Thank you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 350980
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI 2020/21

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:53 am

Has anyone heard from NY v10s? Need to accept my summer firm's offer by Oct.1st...

Anonymous User
Posts: 350980
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI 2020/21

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:26 pm

Anyone have any updates? My TTT's symplicity had a few V100 postings for specific practice groups, but I have not heard of anyone actually getting an interview yet.

Anonymous User
Posts: 350980
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI 2020/21

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:26 pm
Anyone have any updates? My TTT's symplicity had a few V100 postings for specific practice groups, but I have not heard of anyone actually getting an interview yet.
Same. My CCN has had a few postings (primarily corporate/corporate-adjacent postings in NYC), but I haven't heard about much/any movement or interviews.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”