How Did You Give Notice?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How Did You Give Notice?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:56 am

Hi,

Was wondering if any of you could detail how you gave notice at a former position. Certainly don’t want to burn any bridges and would like to make the transition as smooth and painless as possible, so any advice or experiences (as to what you said and the like) would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks!

papermateflair

Bronze

Re: How Did You Give Notice?

Post by papermateflair » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:09 pm

What worked for me was talking to the head of my practice group (who I had a great relationship with but I didn't directly work for), and after I told him I was taking a new job for positive reasons (moving to a new town for personal reasons, alluding to other long-term growth issues in my practice group), I asked him to help me make sure that things went well when I gave notice to the rest of the partners I worked for. Most of the partners I worked for were very emotional people generally, which isn't a bad thing, but it meant that their emotions would need to be managed, and having their "boss" running interference in the background if they got too upset was very helpful. I only had to "sell" leaving to one person, and then I could give notice to the rest and count on the head of the practice group to sell it to everyone else. Partners love to be helpful (it's a service industry, after all), and they love to tell each other what to do, so having a partner who takes the job of helping you smooth things over can be helpful (obviously it won't work if you have different dynamics at work, though).

I really focused on the positive reasons I was leaving with each person I talked to (it wasn't the time to list all of my issues, and I refused to get into anything negative even when they prodded me in that direction), and then if they wanted more, the practical reason (new firm paid market, old firm didn't). I was told when I was leaving that everyone was impressed with how I handled the exit (previous exits had...not gone well...see above re: emotional partners).

hdr

New

Post by hdr » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:22 pm

Speak to the head of your practice group, then other partners, then associates. To the extent possible, everyone should hear it directly from you and not through the grapevine.

Most partners recognize that associates move around frequently and they shouldn't be upset by it. That said, some friends have had crazy experiences, including being dismissed on the spot (and then later told by a different partner they need to come back and help transfer their matters), and being told they can't leave for two months until their matters conclude (which HR can handle--the firm can't make you stay).

burritotaco

New

Post by burritotaco » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:30 pm

I emailed the handful of partners I worked with closely while cc-ing the managing partner. I was moving for personal reasons. I didn't have much to say other than that beyond letting them know I was leaving in about a month, my start date was not flexible, and I would wrap up major projects before leaving.

Whatislaw

New

Post by Whatislaw » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:54 am

Has anyone been able to pull off leaving a firm amicably and leaving the possibility to return later on in your career whether its a year or two out (if the new place doesn't work out) or a number of years later?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:54 am

Whatislaw wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:54 am
Has anyone been able to pull off leaving a firm amicably and leaving the possibility to return later on in your career whether its a year or two out (if the new place doesn't work out) or a number of years later?
Yes. I know people who have actually pulled it off. And on the management side, I’ve seen people leave who the firm believes they can reach out to in 12-24 months when they realize the grass isn’t always greener and get them to return.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:32 pm

[different anon]

How should this work during COVID-19? Would people really expect calls to everyone you work with? Normally, people talk to each other informally, but this isn't happening as much.

Whatislaw

New

Post by Whatislaw » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:54 am
Whatislaw wrote:
Yes. I know people who have actually pulled it off. And on the management side, I’ve seen people leave who the firm believes they can reach out to in 12-24 months when they realize the grass isn’t always greener and get them to return.
Oh interesting. Any insight into how one can accomplish that as an associate?

burritotaco

New

Post by burritotaco » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:54 am
Whatislaw wrote:
I know several people at my old firm who left and came back. Granted, a few came back at a higher position after getting more clients and experience, but at least a few associates did it. I was told (and I think genuinely) that I could always come back to my firm, but I left for purely personal reasons, so I don't think anyone was miffed by my leaving.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”