Recommend a law firm for this Banking/Finance Associate

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Recommend a law firm for this Banking/Finance Associate

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 26, 2020 9:53 pm

I work at a V5 in NYC in the banking and finance team. I am considering switching at some point early next year (depending on the market) and would like to move to a firm where partners respect their associates and most importantly do not expect associates to work on weekends (unless absolutely necessary). I enjoy my work and get along with most of my team. Yes, a few partners are nasty (I've made peace that a firm will seldom act against a partner) but generally partners expect you to be working on weekends and that has been getting to me lately. Happy to hear recommendations for such a move.Thank you.

Bronze

Re: Recommend a law firm for this Banking/Finance Associate

Post by 2013 » Tue May 26, 2020 10:41 pm

Are you willing to take a pay cut? If not, you will have a hard time finding a place where you aren’t expected to work on weekends.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 27, 2020 8:11 am

Lmfao. You’re not getting paid 200k+ to work 9-6. You’re getting paid to be available on a dime, inc weekends, and work when the clients (your partners) say

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 27, 2020 2:30 pm

OP here - Please do not respond if you do not have a law firm recommendation. Not seeking general biglaw advice here. Thank you.

M458

Bronze

Post by M458 » Wed May 27, 2020 2:51 pm

Goldberg Kohn in Chicago? Know some folks at other large Chicago firms that have moved there as mid-levels and generally found the hours to be more humane/reasonable. Don't know how they're doing in this economy though (and I know you mentioned you're currently in NYC), but figured I'd throw it out there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

The Lsat Airbender

Silver

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Wed May 27, 2020 2:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 2:30 pm
OP here - Please do not respond if you do not have a law firm recommendation. Not seeking general biglaw advice here. Thank you.
Convert to Judaism. You can work at most any V50 and tell people you are Sabbath-observant and get Saturday off that way. You'll still be expected to get as much work done, obviously, so Sundays are often shot, but this is as close as you'll get. HTH

Casper123

New

Post by Casper123 » Wed May 27, 2020 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:53 pm
I work at a V5 in NYC in the banking and finance team. I am considering switching at some point early next year (depending on the market) and would like to move to a firm where partners respect their associates and most importantly do not expect associates to work on weekends (unless absolutely necessary). I enjoy my work and get along with most of my team. Yes, a few partners are nasty (I've made peace that a firm will seldom act against a partner) but generally partners expect you to be working on weekends and that has been getting to me lately. Happy to hear recommendations for such a move.Thank you.
It would be good if you could provide more information on what you're actually doing (leveraged lending?) and what you're looking for besides "no work on the weekends". Do you want to stay in NY?

Bronze

Post by 2013 » Wed May 27, 2020 11:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 2:30 pm
I asked my question because if you’re not willing to take a pay cut, there are literally no firms I can think of. If you are willing to, then people here, myself included, could probably list a few firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”